Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:49 AM   #1

Default FourThirds NOT Going Mirrorless!

It looks like Olympus Japan is backing up what I've been saying after the "statement" from an Oly US employee saying that Oly would be mirrorless in two years:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_295946.html

Basically:
- Mirror systems won't be replaced.
- There would be no size advantage to removing the mirror.
- Phase detection focus is still superior to contrast detect in speed and tracking.
- There are still FourThirds bodies in the pipeline, but they won't say when...they wanted to establish their Micro FourThirds line first.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:53 AM   #2

The guy in the US division who made that comment a while back should be moved over to the endoscope division so he can keep his head where it's obviously been buried for a while. It's hard to imagine someone that high up in an organization being more out of touch with the product he is supposed to be managing.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:42 AM   #3

Well put Greg ... I think the other dude on that interview should join him as well. The amount of negativity that those two generated was shocking...

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:19 AM   #4

Sadly, the new announcement won't stop the weeping and gnashing of teeth at DPR, from the folks whose E3s apparently have become totally incapable of taking good photos anymore.

Oddly, my E3 still seems to work. And I'm OK with Oly working to establish their m43 market first, even if I'm not personally interested in an EVIL camera. I'd like to see their camera operation financially healthy.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:34 PM   #5

Some people are even speculating that this was all planned, to see what the response from Oly owners would be to the US "statement" about mirrorless in two years.

A few years ago I wouldn't have believed it, but what one company did made me believe companies would do such things...one company who made what was the best (and oldest) PDA on the market, had an online survey to their users asking what the company should do to improve things, not only in the product but also service. Instead of improving things, the company saw that end users were too demanding and instead stopped producing consumer products and instead focused on the industrial industry. If you thought people rip at Olympus for lack of support, what the PDA company did was turn hope into despair and anger.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:05 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Mikefellh;1066637]Some people are even speculating that this was all planned, to see what the response from Oly owners would be to the US "statement" about mirrorless in two years.QUOTE]

You hope that's the case in looking at the additional comments he made in that interview, which was all about focus speed when the real issue with "mirrorless" is the electronic finder still not being nearly real-time enough and staying live during multi-image bursts, leaving the photographer in the dark as to what is really being recordered. Again, in that interview, he was totally oblivious to the real main issues with a mirrorless system compared to what is still, for a wider variety of photography, a better solution.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
Some people are even speculating that this was all planned, to see what the response from Oly owners would be to the US "statement" about mirrorless in two years.

A few years ago I wouldn't have believed it, but what one company did made me believe companies would do such things...one company who made what was the best (and oldest) PDA on the market, had an online survey to their users asking what the company should do to improve things, not only in the product but also service. Instead of improving things, the company saw that end users were too demanding and instead stopped producing consumer products and instead focused on the industrial industry. If you thought people rip at Olympus for lack of support, what the PDA company did was turn hope into despair and anger.
Was it a Japanese company? I've not had the sense that Japanese companies work that way, but it's possible that the Oly US rep convinced them to run the idea up a flagpole to see the reaction.

Ted
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:20 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Greg Chappell;1066644]
Quote:
Some people are even speculating that this was all planned, to see what the response from Oly owners would be to the US "statement" about mirrorless in two years.QUOTE]

You hope that's the case in looking at the additional comments he made in that interview, which was all about focus speed when the real issue with "mirrorless" is the electronic finder still not being nearly real-time enough and staying live during multi-image bursts, leaving the photographer in the dark as to what is really being recordered. Again, in that interview, he was totally oblivious to the real main issues with a mirrorless system compared to what is still, for a wider variety of photography, a better solution.
Amen, Greg

Also, based on my experience with the EVF in high-end videocams, I'm not persuaded that we're anywhere near having an EVF that comes close to an OVF.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:09 PM   #9

Greg, my sentiments exactly. My E3 still works...ignorance is bliss!
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 5:17 PM   #10

Quote:
- Phase detection focus is still superior to contrast detect in speed and tracking. ...
This may be true but in terms of accuracy, I much prefer contrast detect. No back/front focusing issues!!! My EP1 and G1 hardly ever miss focus and when they do, I can tell (and fix it) before shooting (thanks to the mirror-less technology).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote