Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:54 AM   #1

Default A few shots from the hockey game last night

Shot from the lower half of the upper deck with the E30 and 70-300. I turned up the noise filter to Standard to compare these images of the game with the Phildelphia Flyers to the last games images on the next few pages of this folder with the Phoenix Coyotes where the filter was turned to Low. I didn't upload as many last night because I got home late and just picked a few to do before I had to go to bed and get some sleep before going to work today!

Did the same as before as far as exposure goes. Shutter Speed Priority at 1/640 second and left ISO on Auto with a range of 200-2500. In the third period I upped the ceiling to 3200 and increased the shutter speed to 1/800 second.

ISO 2000

ISO 2500..

If this guy only knew how silly he looked beating on the glass!

Too close for the man with the white lens...

These last two were a couple from the third period where ISO 3200 kicked in..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:13 AM   #2

Very nice photos! Great colour, good action capture, too! Thanks
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:25 AM   #3

Great photos. In the last shot, the ISO 3200 allowed you to freeze the puck, which I'm sure wasn't really motionless for long, if at all.

I'm continually surprised at how good the high-ISO looks in the E30. Are you doing any noise reduction in post? I can see some noise in the black "Dallas Stars" letters but only because I looked for that knowing it was ISO 3200. I don't see it in the black uniforms. That photo would print just fine.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 19, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:25 AM   #4

Hi Ted.

Nope, the only noise reduction happening is what the E30's noise filter is doing. I did run all of the files through Adobe Camera RAW, doing a little straightening, a little cropping and applying the Targeted Adjustment Tool in some of the files where the whites needed a little lifting of values. I also shot these using Auto White Balance and a few files needed a slight color adjustment.

The Standard noise filter setting seems to do a better job than me using a Low filter setting and then running the JPEG's through Noiseware and fading, but I could not decide last night if I like the Standard noise filter setting for these better or not. I'll be looking closer and comparing these to the last game over the next several days. I'm going again Saturday afternoon and contemplating whether or not to try and get in with the 50-200 SWD.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:06 PM   #5

Hi Greg

I'm liking those a lot ..some fab hockey shots and you've got me itching to go !

The E30 definietly is better at higher isos .. thats say 2000 ->3200 over the E3. I'd really like to see what the IQ is like if you can get to use the 50-200 .I bet its going to step up a notch or two as well.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:58 PM   #6

Excellent capture Greg. I like #3 where all four skates are off the ice and in the air.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:34 AM   #7

Awesome shots, Greg. If I ever decide to get back to the normal DSLR system (as opposed to the m4/3 I currently have), the E30 will be at the top of my list!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:42 AM   #8

...excellent Greg, weather today makes sense for a hockey outing, me, I'm going to Supercross @ Cowboys stadium.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:47 AM   #9

I'm continually astounded by how well you do with a standard grade lens that limits at f5.6 on the long end.

All I can say is great job, and part of me wants to put top grade stuff in your hands just to see what the results look like. Inquiring minds want to know In that spirit, I hope they don't turn you away with the 50-200.

(the northern one)

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
...excellent Greg, weather today makes sense for a hockey outing, me, I'm going to Supercross @ Cowboys stadium.
I saw that event and thought about it. Let me know if you remember seeing anything about what type of photo equipment was or was not allowed in. It'd be good to know for next time.