Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:11 AM   #1

Default 800mm on 4/3rds

This was the first time i have had a chance to try my Tokina 400mm with my Tokina 7E doubler. Not going to make anyone jealous but the results were much better than I had hoped, especially considering the total cost was under $200, and as long as there is plenty of light it's more than serviceable for subjects like this eagle that are really out of reach of 400mm (400 works but for me I want to be much closer, and the awesome 600mm setup is out of the question ). Shot hand held at 1/200 ISO 400 and PPed to help with sharpness and overall looks.

John
Attached Images

Last edited by jelow1966; Mar 20, 2010 at 1:14 AM.
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:47 AM   #2

Not bad...I absolutely agree with your initial statement. IQ may not be that great but for the price, it's nice to have that extra reach. Now, as a suggestion, shooting at 800mm (after the crop factor) you should set the shutter to at least 1/800 for hand-held shooting (the ol' good RoT of S=1/FL). You shot at 1/200, which is part of the reason why the image lacks some definition. Very impressive, though!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:59 AM   #3

I'd say the results are really very good. The reason I say so is I think you may have missed focus just a bit to the front side. There is a twig above the bird that seems quite sharp and the main branch the eagle is perched on is sharper on the left side of the frame.

I'd say not bad at all. For the dollar spent, I'd say astounding!

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I'd say the results are really very good. The reason I say so is I think you may have missed focus just a bit to the front side. There is a twig above the bird that seems quite sharp and the main branch the eagle is perched on is sharper on the left side of the frame.

I'd say not bad at all. For the dollar spent, I'd say astounding!
Thanks. In all honesty focus was a bit hit and miss. Thankfully this bird had no interest in moving so i could just shoot shot after shot adjusting the focus a bit and then sort thru them at home. A better viewfinder would help, I really should have an E-3. I also wish the focus was a little stiffer on the Tokina. I have an old 300mm Lentar with a stiff focus ring that is much easier to make the really small adjustments on.

John
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Not bad...I absolutely agree with your initial statement. IQ may not be that great but for the price, it's nice to have that extra reach. Now, as a suggestion, shooting at 800mm (after the crop factor) you should set the shutter to at least 1/800 for hand-held shooting (the ol' good RoT of S=1/FL). You shot at 1/200, which is part of the reason why the image lacks some definition. Very impressive, though!
Thanks. Yeah I really need to get a good tripod. I find I'm often shooting at speeds way less than the 1-1 rule suggests.

John
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:19 AM   #6

Default Killdeer

I had the chance to play around with this setup again today, once again in bright sun. This time I came across a pair of Killdeer that didn't mind me being around as long as I sat still, they pretty much just stood there looking at me now and then. Shot while sitting down with a cheap tripod for support at 1/320. Once again i'm pleased with the results, at least of the ones that are sharp. Harder to focus on the smaller birds. I'd love to improve IQ but not sure how I can w/o spending lots more. A better quality 400mm might work but then again it might not be as compatible with the doubler. A real 800 is probably out of the question as price is one issue and portability is another.
John
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:01 PM   #7

Default Comparison

For the sake of compaison here's a cropped shot taken with the Sigma at 400mm since that is another way to get 800 although the resulting image will be smaller of course. The color is better (I needed to tweak the other one more, a little too much blue but I was lazy) but the bokeh wide open sucks. Shot hand held at 1/1000 IIRC so it should've been stopped down a bit, I tend to forget about the aperture setting being used to a lens based adjustment not camera based. In terms of sharpness and quality I'd say it's a draw but someone with a larger and better screen might dissagree.

John
Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:14 PM   #8

Hi John

THose pics look pretty decent to me esp at this size and for an 400m + 2x convertor and shot hand held too. John, I'm wondering esp with the bald eagle shot if you could stop down a little more and increasing the shutter speed whether that would have sharpened up the image even more.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi John

THose pics look pretty decent to me esp at this size and for an 400m + 2x convertor and shot hand held too. John, I'm wondering esp with the bald eagle shot if you could stop down a little more and increasing the shutter speed whether that would have sharpened up the image even more.

Cheers

Harj
Thanks Harj. I will keep experimenting with this setup, especially once I get a decent tripod. I think both the eagle and the killdeer were shot at 6.3. I'm sure the sharpness would go up if I tried f11 instead but handheld that would be impossible with the e-500, I'd need something with good high ISO capabilities. Other problem with stopping down is focusing, I can focus at 6.3 and at 8 but I'm not sure i could at 11. Wouldn't have mattered with these two subjects as neither really moved much. It's nice when birds co-operate like that I hope to perfect using this setup over the spring and summer, then go from there as to what I might want to do to improve the IQ.

John