Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:18 PM   #1

Default E510 mode dial problem-any ideas

I haven't used my camera a lot recently-it's been a long cloudy cold winter here! Yesterday was taking a few shots though and noticed a big time problem. The only shooting modes that work are automatic and scene modes. Aperture, shutter and manual modes will not function. In any of these, depressing the shutter button results in exposure being locked and it beeps to signal that, but refuses to fully depress to take the shot.
On automatic or scene modes the system works just fine but it will not take a shot on aperture, shutter or manual priority.
Does anyone have any ideas on what might have gone wrong?
I've been coveting the 620 body-is it worth sending the 510 off for possible repair or should I just go ahead and get a 620.
I'm (fairly!) certain that this endless winter is going to end soon and can hardly wait to get outside again, so I will be really wanting my trusty photo companion again. (even though we had 4 inches of snow overnight, spring is bound to arrive soon.)
I will appreciate any ideas or advice.
spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:25 PM   #2

Have you tried resetting the camera to its defaults?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:50 PM   #3

Just make sure it isn't set to a high ISO and the shutter speed is over the maximum. Otherwise the reset would be the next thing I'd try.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 3:09 PM   #4

I started fooling again with the camera and it is hard to admit that everything is working fine-it's my own stupidity that was at fault. A couple of weeks ago I used the camera to take some shots of myself in a pair of slacks that I was trying determine were too tight in the back. So I set the self timer to 12 seconds to check out my tush--and forgot that the timer was enabled. So of course when I was taking the pictures yesterday the shutter didn't release since it needed to wait 12 seconds before firing! What a dunce. I don't know why it still still worked in auto and program but the modes that I actually use work fine. Damn, now I don't have an excuse to order a 620-maybe I'll wait and save a little more for an E30.
Angie
Old Mar 20, 2010, 3:57 PM   #5

Well you are the ONLY person in the entire universe that has ever made a mistake! None of the rest of us have.

(not)

Glad you were able to sort it out with no repair cost.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:52 PM   #6

Wheres the pics of you in the pants that caused the problem. Id like to yell at them
DAHRAZIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:34 PM   #7

Trust me, those were erased IMMEDIATELY!!