Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:29 AM   #1

Default The first spring flower in my yard

So wooohooo I started playing with the E3, 14-35 + EX25. This daffodil was about 10" above the ground so the tricky part was the sticks. The Slik 700 won't go down that low even with the legs spread - the center column is too long. So I put the whole rig on the baby Slik and it held although it wasn't happy. I set the E3 on timed shutter release to let any vibration damp out. This flower is less than 2" wide. As usual with the EX25, not much DOF...

Ted

PS: Comments/advice are welcome
Attached Images

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:57 PM   #2

Ted, I hope you don't mind but I tweaked you picture to add more pop to it. The focus and composition are great but to me it's a bit flat. Just personal preference but I like more contrast in my images, helps to define the bits of the flower. On a related note, I would've just shot on my belly with a bounce or ring flash and saved the agrivation of the tripod, but again it's just personal preference.

John
Attached Images

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Ted, I hope you don't mind but I tweaked you picture to add more pop to it. The focus and composition are great but to me it's a bit flat. Just personal preference but I like more contrast in my images, helps to define the bits of the flower.
John
John, I don't mind at all, I appreciate it - thanks - I like yours better. Did you just tweak the contrast in PShop? I shot this at sunrise (when the wind is still) and was futzing around in ACR for a while. I think I ran out of gas (I got up at 3am to do a prayer shift at the Temple) but you showed me I should have tweaked it more.

Edit: I duplicated your contrast in PShop, which is usually what I do. The interesting thing is that I boosted the contrast in the original I posted, in ACR with the curves tool. But it didn't get me what I really wanted. The lesson for me is that when I'm done in ACR, tweek contrast some more in PShop. Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
On a related note, I would've just shot on my belly with a bounce or ring flash and saved the agrivation of the tripod, but again it's just personal preference.

John
Um, on my belly in that location would have required a lot of time doing laundry afterwards (grin). I thought about flash but the front of the 14-35 lens hood was only some 4" from the flower. I may try shooting it with the 50-200 to get farther away, and then be able to use flash. But it's supposed to rain for the next few days - maybe the flowers will still be there later in the week...

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:28 PM   #4

first one, the narcissus are just breaking through...
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post

first one, the narcissus are just breaking through...
Nice!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:57 PM   #6

Hi Ted/Edge,

Good examples of first of the Spring flower images. The onset of Spring, with it's blooms of all kinds and colors of flowers is my favorite time of the year as it represents a new start, new life and warmer days. Thanx for posting.

Don't mean to hijack your post Ted, but here is an image of a Hibiscus from the Florida Keys taken yesterday with the E-30/ 12-60mm SWD lens. There are not many blooms just yet as the cold snap really had an impact -even here-in the Keys.

Zig
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted/Edge,

Don't mean to hijack your post Ted
Zig
Well Zig, I wouldn't mind that if you weren't posting an image from friggin Florida.

(grin)

Ted

PS: great shot.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
John, I don't mind at all, I appreciate it - thanks - I like yours better. Did you just tweak the contrast in PShop? I shot this at sunrise (when the wind is still) and was futzing around in ACR for a while. I think I ran out of gas (I got up at 3am to do a prayer shift at the Temple) but you showed me I should have tweaked it more.

Edit: I duplicated your contrast in PShop, which is usually what I do. The interesting thing is that I boosted the contrast in the original I posted, in ACR with the curves tool. But it didn't get me what I really wanted. The lesson for me is that when I'm done in ACR, tweek contrast some more in PShop. Thanks for your help!

Um, on my belly in that location would have required a lot of time doing laundry afterwards (grin). I thought about flash but the front of the 14-35 lens hood was only some 4" from the flower. I may try shooting it with the 50-200 to get farther away, and then be able to use flash. But it's supposed to rain for the next few days - maybe the flowers will still be there later in the week...

Ted
Glad to be of help. As for dirty clothes, it's a small price to pay for a shot. Or use a tarp of some sort. I've thought about adding a pair of tyvek coveralls to my kit for just such use. Would look like a total dork but it beats looking like I took a face plant in the mud. Oh, as for you question about tweaking, I split the color and luminosity, used a curve layer on the luminosity and tweaked the color layer to under saturate the yellows and then some final tweaking on the flattened image. I'm sure there may be a more efficient way to do it but it's what I'm familiar with.

John

Last edited by jelow1966; Mar 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM.
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:40 PM   #9

I thought about that but I was just too tired.

Ted
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Well Zig, I wouldn't mind that if you weren't posting an image from friggin Florida.

(grin)

Ted

PS: great shot.
I think you should get your posterior back up to New England and suffer along with the rest of us on the Atlantic Coast. (grin)

But things are looking up here in Maryland (true image - dark storm clouds moving in):
Attached Images

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 21, 2010 at 6:41 PM.