Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:31 AM   #1

Default Everglades National Park

We had an opportunity to visit the Everglades Nat'l Park in Everglades City yesterday.The Park is really a small harbor that offer boat tours through the Ten Thousand Islands area of the Park about 17 miles south of Marco Island.
It's a good take with knowledgeable Tour guides explaining the area's ecosystem, history, as well as it's inhabitants.

We saw a few Osprey, Herons, and a rookery but all were too far away to take a decent photo.

One surprise was the appearance of 4 separate pods of Dolphin that spent about 20 minutes following our boat and riding the crest of the first wave created by the boats' wake. Those of you living in Florida, no doubt, have seen this. For us, it was the first time and was quite fascinating

I happened to be positioned on the top rear portion of the deck and was the perfect spot to capture a few images with the E-30 50-200mm lens.

Oh, and I added another Florida sunset- couldn't resist.

I got a call from an old friend who lives in Bradenton and got 4 tickets to see an Oriole vs Red Sox Spring Training game this Saturday. Looking forward to taking the E-30/50-200mm combo along.

Zig
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:39 AM   #2

ZIG!!! Really neat action shots, love the first one... you've also done an excellent job with the water!! Really nice... Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:47 AM   #3

Thanx for the kind comments.

The first image was actually my first shot taken of the Dolphins and happened to be one of pure luck. The Boat captain was announcing that the Dolphins would be jumping out of the water momentarily while I was busy adjusting the camera settings and focusing. I had the lens in the middle of the wave just when the Dolphin and her baby came out of the water. Shortly thereafter, the rest of the people on board arrived on our side of the boat and it was became very difficult to get an unobstructed shot. I ended up taking about 60 frames with the 1st being the best.

Zig
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:53 AM   #4

Believe me, 60 frames is just fine... I have to take a lot of frames too... When I retire my mobilephone camera, I will be able to take lots of frames and not worry... plus I will have a real camera. Anyway, nice photo... and I don't mean to harp on about the water... but I love it when water is captured in such a way that it enhances the photo's subject... Thanks again for sharing these. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:07 AM   #5

The sunset picture is great Zig.
I have friends down that way as well, don't get there very often but I love the west coast Tampa area, Bahia and Opollo two small beaches and down to Bradenten for the big flea market.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:25 AM   #6

Love the sunset pic Zig. That's very well done.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:41 AM   #7

Zig

Great shots of the dolphins. Makes me wish we were in mid april already. Will be in FLA for a week, looking ready to enjoy the sun and beaches.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:18 PM   #8

The Everglades...yet another one of those spots I've never been where I hope to go one day. I'm crossing one of those places (San Francisco) off in June, so that one can move up the ladder.

Dolphins are wonderful creatures, and those captures are great.

You guys are making quite a time of it there in Florida. Even getting to a spring training game. Very nice!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:19 PM   #9

Wow, Zig! Those are some super shots!!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:09 PM   #10

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the great comments....they are much appreciated.

Hi Greg,

San Francisco in June, eh. I can't think of a nicer place in this country than to visit San Francisco at that time of year. Except perhaps, Boston and catching a Red Sox game

Hi Eric,

I'm looking forward to the weekend, as we're headed into the Tampa, Sarasota, Bradenton area. After visiting just about all of Florida over the years, my favorite area continues to be the stretch between Marco and Tampa. warm water, nice beaches and a bit lower key.