Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:36 PM   #1

Default Thinking Low Gradation Here..

Did some more shooting around north Dallas in the shade and low light of late afternoon on my way home from the office and decided to "shift down" to an appropriate gradation setting since I'm shooting strictly in JPEG capture these days, from Normal to Low with my E30. Makes a lot of sense vs. using negative exposure compensation.

More nasty aphids..

Moon rising through the trees..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:01 PM   #2

Greg: I vote for #3. It looks like it should be the photo on a Valentine's Card.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:08 AM   #3

Once again, just beautiful. #s 1 ,3 and 7 are my favorites. How are you liking shooting jpeg? Would drive me crazy to not be able to tweak things after the fact but part of that I suppose is just because I forget to change settings.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:36 AM   #4

#7! Great shots! Like the contrast a lot and the jpeg approach is always impressive with Olympus.
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:09 AM   #5

Hi Greg,

I sure am glad that you're an Oly shooter because you continue to provide tips, suggestions as well as results that allow folks like me to think about my camera, it's features and how to get the most out of them.

Thanks

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:32 AM   #6

Greg, nice soft lighting to compliment the soft flowers, looks like you used a giant softbox.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:19 AM   #7

Zig said, "I sure am glad that you're an Oly shooter because you continue to provide tips, suggestions as well as results that allow folks like me to think about my camera."

..........me too, thanks Greg

boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Once again, just beautiful. #s 1 ,3 and 7 are my favorites. How are you liking shooting jpeg? Would drive me crazy to not be able to tweak things after the fact but part of that I suppose is just because I forget to change settings.

John
Thanks, John.

Actually, you can still do a decent amount of tweeking to these images, especially if you use the highest quality/low compression Large Superfine JPEG setting. The adjustments just do not have to be as large as you might use on a RAW file and you get to keep the great colors the JPEG engine produced.

I still open JPEG's up in Adobe Camera RAW and use all the same adjustment tools. The main difference is in color adjustments since you choose the white balance setting and it gets hard-coded in the JPEG so you lose the white balance presets in the converter, but instead of using white balance pre-sets, you use the two color balance sliders and watch the color temperature change until the value gets where you like. Adobe even provides a color swatch below the slider that give you an idea which way you need to be moving it to get the desired effect.

Forgetting to change settings is a real danger. I've been hard-coded for a long time in shooting RAW to ignore a lot of in-camera parameters and it has been a process trying to remember to look at the control panel, make changes for a shot or two, then remembering to switch those settings back. Fortunately, I do review a lot so it's easy to see an obvious error and re-shoot. This weekend I am doing some senior pictures for a friend and will be using RAW+JPEG as a fail-safe.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 26, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:33 PM   #9

I'm liking that layered look in the last tulip shot.

Interesting your thoughts on JPEG and RAW. I've only just started playing with RAW because I thought I had to using Adobe Lightroom. I seem to have better results from my style of pics with the super fine JPEG though.
Perhaps the E500 sensor develops the colours better to my liking in JPEG..?

Seems that the colours more resemble Agfa film more than say Fuji. If that makes sense.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:23 PM   #10

I used an Agfa film for a while back in the 1990's the was being sold by a pro lab here in Dallas when I was using a couple of Rollei TLR's that produced some great colors. Can't remember anything about it other than I think what I was buying (120 and 220 rolls) came in a silver box.

I don't doubt what you say at all regards to the colors the JPEG engine puts out. Add to that Olympus was still using the Kodak sensors with the E500 that were so good on the E1 and E300's too.

You can tweek some of the default settings Adobe Camera RAW uses in presenting the RAW file to you for processing where it comes close to starting you off looking at an image that looks very much like what it looked like on the cameras' back LCD after you shot it, but you still have to get your noise filtering and sharpening down right and I just like the way Olympus has set the JPEG engine up. Other than dealing with a file where you've clipped highlights or are looking to double-process a file to expand the dynamic range of a scene, I'm liking JPEG capture these days.