Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
AHH, I see so it is always on once you turn it on. It may be an idea to then getting the metz ring flash. I think I will have to take a look at it one day is the shop. Thanks
I'm not familiar with the entire Metz lineup, but I have (and love) the Metz 15 MS-1. As shipped, it won't light the subject at 1 to 1 on the 35 macro. The adapter mounts to the rear of the flash and that leaves the subject in the dark. Keep in mind that the EX-25 will complicate that farther.

I have made a congloberation of a step-up ring, step-down ring and a cheap set of close-up lenses with the glass removed to set the lens farther into the ring of the flash. Its not a perfect solution, but it makes it possible to use the Metz at magnifications of around 2.5x (ec-20/Canon 250D).

Just be prepared before you buy.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:11 AM   #12

Ok,

Oly got back to me, the ex25 will work with the epl-1 with the 35mm 3.5. Even the AF works, it just hunts a little, and the camera compensated for the tube and lens. Think I will be adding one to my wife's kit.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:41 AM   #13

I did see this, so a user has reported the combination as working...just expect to have to get very, very, very close to your subject with the 35+EX25!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34554969
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:44 AM   #14

Thanks, just wanted to check with oly if the camera would compensate for the tube in it's final rendition of the photo. And they said all the data is accounted for in the final photo. So I think it will be added to the bag. It just focus really close if you set it to 1:1.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:11 PM   #15

Here is some example of the ex 25 with the 35mm macro with the adapter. It is impressive, but you are really tight on the subject. Not sure if I should return it.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 30, 2010 at 4:14 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:16 PM   #16

There's no way to get macro shots w/o being close that doesn't involve the use of doublers, and even then you'd be limited to around 1:1 or possibly 2:1. If Oly ever released a 100mm macro that would be an ideal setup with the ec-20.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
It's not a flash, but steady light, so your auto functions all work and set exposure, etc.
I haven't tried one of these but I suspect that it would be hard to work with. LED lights are pretty dim, I have used LED flashlights to light small subjects , so focusing could be an issue. Up close the focus has to be just right and to do that you need all the light you can get. If you do studio work, nothing is better than a slide projector outside of dedicated fiber optic systems. Bright, concentrated light that is easy to position. Provides nice contrast as well since it isn't coming from directly in line with the lens.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:26 PM   #18

That's exactly what I thought would be the case with the EX25 and the 35 macro. You probably have to be careful not to cast a shadow on the subject with the lens! The 35/3.5 goes to 1:1 on its' own, so the added space of the EX25 puts you at larger than life-size, as you can see. It is very impressive but really does limit the subject matter.

I do know of people using the 50/2 and 35/3.5 with the EC20 and their DSLR's, creating 100mm f4 and 70mm f7 lenses.

If you have a tele zoom, either the 40-150, 70-300 or 50-200, the EX25 really works well with those.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote