Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:11 AM   #11

Nice cobs there yea the porch will get messy and it mite take longer if you place a feeder near the window an d the affects is better if its more natural like the tree or a feeder pole... Now hummingbird feeder close is great for they well it wont get messy.. and think all them seeds between and under the porch that means weeds too... Look at a local Bird watching program Club etc they could tell a lot on what birds are going to actually be coming around most have lists of wild life in each area... But do enjoy I do I finnly got the Humming feeders out in time if they dont get out on time they will not be coming around and working in my garden well I keep forgetting the camera cause I don't want to get dirt in the cam but then if I hang it out side for use when I do go out at least I will have it close... I have had a many few birds come visit two were looking to have a nice quiet place to nest and I think they finally did for I have not seen any of them and of course I was doing the front yard of late.... I just hope to get the buck again he was surely something of a story as he had three antlers!! still looking for him to show up again.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
My goal was to have that sucker as close as possible so that I could get quality pics from the setup (E-620/70-300mm) and possibly shoot @ 150mm to get the best out of the lens. I basically thought I could get a setup to what Zig has (but with a different lens obviously).

The issue I may have is light. Early afternoon, the area is in the shade - higher ISO shots I suppose.
Hi Tek,

Here are a couple of shots showing the set up I use.
A few points to consider when setting up your feeding station/camera set up.

Greg mentioned the use of a black sheet to eliminate glare and reflections. I use a simple sheet of black art board bought at a craft shop for 69cents. It works wonders.

Whatever feeder you choose, should be positioned as close as possible to your window without making a mess on the deck. And a mess you'll have due to bird droppings and seed shells.

My feeder is mounted on an iron bar on the side of the house -about 15ft above the ground. below my office window is a driveway leading to the garage. A perfect set up to prevent squirrels from getting to the feeder.
It is also a lot easier to clean.

In the second shot you can see that the lens is about 4ft from the feeder. Your set up doesn't have to be as close. But, basically, if you want good feather detail, you need to get as close as possible.

The down side is that the feeder is on the North side of the house which means it gets no direct Sun. In the morning and evening, it's very dark meaning the use of high ISO settings. 800 or higher. Backlighting will also be a factor.

In addition to a seed feeder, I would suggest a suet feeder. It draws a larger mix of birds including woodpeckers.
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:27 PM   #13

Here's version 1 of the feeder:

I have a 70-300mm Zuiko to work with. So, my settings show that @ 150mm, I should have more than enough to fill a frame with a bird.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:57 PM   #14

#1 - f/4.5; 1/400; ISO250; 125mm

#2 - f/7.1; 1/160; ISO640; 239mm

#3 - f7.1; 1/200; ISO640; 300mm

I have to get rid of the glare in the window which is apparent in #3. I think it's a good first try. I think my location has been discovered! I hope the bigger birds will also come by (ie. Blue Jays to name a few).
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:33 PM   #15

Hey Tek,

Great start. I hope you have as much fun as I did when I first put up the feeder. I couldn't wait to get up in the morning to get set up to shoot, see who would come by, try and take a bunch of shots and then evaluate the results.

As regards to the glare; as mentioned by Greg in a prior post, get yourself a piece of black poster board or art board and stand it up off to the side of the window. It's the best thing I've found to get rid of reflections and glare.

Don't worry, the Jays will come. But you'll also get a lot more variety if you put up a suet feeder in addition to your seed feeder. Northern Flickers love suet as do all kinds of woodpeckers and nuthatches.

Have fun and post a few more when you have a chance.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Don't worry, the Jays will come. But you'll also get a lot more variety if you put up a suet feeder in addition to your seed feeder. Northern Flickers love suet as do all kinds of woodpeckers and nuthatches.
Oooooh, woodpeckers love suet? I've seen and heard one around our place. That would be pretty cool to see up close. Thanks for the tip. Now, I'll have to figure out a place for it, close enough for me to be able to snap some shots...