Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:28 AM   #1

Default Tips on setting my bird feeder/platform

My goal is to setup either a bird feeder or platform on this side of the deck in the back. I'm planning on getting a big bag of those black seeds in order to attract the bigger birds.

I would be using my Zuiko 70-300mm lens.

This was taken @ 9:30am ET.

Should I get a true feeder house or a platform to put a mound of seeds?
I suppose I should get it as close as I can to the house in order to get better pictures?

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously, will clean the window before starting to shoot! LOL

Last edited by TekiusFanatikus; Mar 27, 2010 at 7:30 AM. Reason: clarifications
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:45 AM   #2

I normally don't shoot through window glass. but the main advise would be to drape a soft (not glossy) black cloth to eliminate as much as possible the reflections. You may want to wear similar colors also.

The next thing to consider is go out and find an attractive perch for them to land on. Driftwood is a nice choice.

Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
The next thing to consider is go out and find an attractive perch for them to land on. Driftwood is a nice choice.
Could you explain this further? Do you mean to exclusively use a piece of driftwood or to use one to enhance a bird feeder?

Last edited by TekiusFanatikus; Mar 27, 2010 at 8:40 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:49 AM   #4

i see you have woods behind the house...just like me ...i would put a bird feeder up on a pole or hang one up...some way cause the squirrles love the black sunflower seed .i have mine about 6 feet on a pole and they still get up there....sooooo i put up a squirrel feeder also on the edge of the woods to keep them out of the bird feeder..i wouldnt put it on the porch or anything like that cause it gets pretty messy under the feeder...oh and it will take about a week before the birds find it ...atleast thats about how long it took for me ...but when they do lmao.. look out ...ive had mine up for about 6 weeks and ive went threw 40 pounds of feed already... good luck..

Last edited by kirby; Mar 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM.
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
...ive had mine up for about 6 weeks and ive went threw 40 pounds of feed already... good luck..
When I had my feeder hanging from a tree branch, I was going thru that much seed also. I don't have a squirrel problem, and just thought that the cardinals were eating a lot.

Then one night we saw a fat raccoon sitting there eating all the seeds. Moved the feeder well away from any trees and put it on a long skinny iron pole. No more raccoons and the sunflower seeds last a lot longer.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Could you explain this further? Do you mean to exclusively use a piece of driftwood or to use one to enhance a bird feeder?
I guess I misunderstood. Its just that it adds to the photo it you are successful in getting the bird to land there.

I use tube type feeders as the longer type gravity feeders make it too easy for the sparrows to shovel feed in mass onto the ground. My favorite feeder is the platform type window feeder, but will require more effort because you need to add a cup of feed quite often and clean shelled hulls from the platform. The view is hard to match though.

We also have a few wren houses scattered around the property. They are cheap and all you need to do is clean them out going into the spring and they are fun to watch.

Hummingbird feeders are fun too. Get something bee proof. They drive you nuts when you try to take their picture though!!!

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:19 AM   #7

What type of feeder and food will determine the types of birds you draw in. I find most birds like a feeder with a good perch area, something they can really grab onto. The tube type are great for the finch size birds and others will use it as well but you'll get more large birds if you have a larger perch area. I find a favorite for most all of them is blackoil sunflower seed. I buy mine on sale from a local store when they run the ad for around 13 bucks for a 50 pound bag. The small bags are way to overpriced for the amount you get. Even the larger woodpeckers will use the feeder I have all the time. This is a shot I took a couple years ago with the 560 before I went dslr.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:03 PM   #8

these are not good pics but this is what i use...lol
Attached Images

kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:24 PM   #9

My goal was to have that sucker as close as possible so that I could get quality pics from the setup (E-620/70-300mm) and possibly shoot @ 150mm to get the best out of the lens. I basically thought I could get a setup to what Zig has (but with a different lens obviously).

I can wipe the deck to clean it if need be I think. The issue I may have is light. Early afternoon, the area is in the shade - higher ISO shots I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I use tube type feeders as the longer type gravity feeders make it too easy for the sparrows to shovel feed in mass onto the ground. My favorite feeder is the platform type window feeder, but will require more effort because you need to add a cup of feed quite often and clean shelled hulls from the platform. The view is hard to match though.
Can you provide examples of these two feeders? Just to make sure that we're on the same page.

A quick look at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...&showreviews=1

Last edited by TekiusFanatikus; Mar 27, 2010 at 3:30 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
these are not good pics but this is what i use...lol
Yeah well that first pic is pretty typical of the kind of "birds" we get in the bird feeders around here.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote