Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:34 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Ouch!
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:48 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Ouch!
You betcha!

I gave them a card number and it has already been charged. To their credit, in checking the repair site this morning the estimated shipping date back to me is April 9, so they are turning it around very fast, which I have always heard is what happens.

This is my fault. It's made that slight clicking sound for a while. I bought the lens in August, 2008 and know it started well before the one-year warranty period expired so the chance was there for me to return it and have this done for free. I could have either sent it in in time or paid the $40 a two-year warranty extension would have cost and been covered.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Well, I received an email the lens is on it's way back to me by two-day UPS, meaning it'll arrive at my office Friday the 16th.....and wouldn't you know, I'm off Friday and Monday to go to Lubbock to see my daughter so it will sit at the office in the box over the weekend!

The repair sounded extensive. From Olympus website they...

"REPLACED 3 ZS FRAME UNIT ( APERTURE ) AND MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD. ADJUSTED , CHECKED AND CLEANED. FIRMWARE UPDATED."
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Greg, I'm glad it's working out, even if you don't have it for the weekend.

I may be facing a similar issue with my PL 14-50. Many of them develop a problem with stopping halfway thru zooming, which is apparently caused by a screw that works its way to protruding and stopping the zoom movement. Mine has started doing that, and it's way past the warranty period. The good news is, if I aim it vertical it zooms fine so I'm hoping it won't get worse. Of course, no photo equipment that starts to have a problem, fails to get worse but at this point I'm happily living in a state of denial.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:12 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
HarjTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,531
Default

Hi Greg

Damn thats steep.. how can they just take the money without asking via telephone or email whether you'd like to go ahead with the repair as its going to cost $x's ?? Did they say what's caused the fault ? Its got to be pretty major if theyre charging nearly $300 to fix it.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:04 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Greg

Damn thats steep.. how can they just take the money without asking via telephone or email whether you'd like to go ahead with the repair as its going to cost $x's ?? Did they say what's caused the fault ? Its got to be pretty major if theyre charging nearly $300 to fix it.
I received an email from Olympus that the lens was there and they gave me a reference number to check on the status. First time I logged in, there was the quoted price to fix it and box to check either authorizing the repair or not, but I never knew what the problem was until after they fixed it and showed exactly what was done.

New aperture mechanism and new circuit board sounds as major as it probably gets short of an issue with one of the glass elements.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:22 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13
Default

Just ran across this thread...my 12-60mm locked up and experienced exactly the same condition last week at the age of 18 months. Sent it back to Olympus and this is what the quote on their customer site said:

Total Charges: USD$300.75 Details of Repair: REPLACED FRAME 3ZS ADJUSTED FOCUS.EV CHECKED ALL FUNCTION AND CLEANED
What exactly that means, I don't know, but I do clearly understand the $300.75 part. Any concrete ideas on what's causing this problem? Is there any recourse with Olympus?

The lens will be shipped back to me tomorrow. In any case, I'll be glad to have it back.
Kiki FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki FL View Post
Just ran across this thread...my 12-60mm locked up and experienced exactly the same condition last week at the age of 18 months. Sent it back to Olympus and this is what the quote on their customer site said:

Total Charges: USD$300.75 Details of Repair: REPLACED FRAME 3ZS ADJUSTED FOCUS.EV CHECKED ALL FUNCTION AND CLEANED
What exactly that means, I don't know, but I do clearly understand the $300.75 part. Any concrete ideas on what's causing this problem? Is there any recourse with Olympus?

The lens will be shipped back to me tomorrow. In any case, I'll be glad to have it back.
Hard to say exactly what the cause of the problem is, but in reading similar posts from other 12-60 users on the Olympus DSLR page at DPReview, the one common issue happening prior to the lens' aperture locking up was, in my case, a slight resistance between the 12-18mm settings along with a slight clicking sound at the time you hit the resistance. With other users the resistance was happening at other placing in the zoom range.

In the case of what was happening with my lens, it's been happening for a while and I could have/should have sent my lens in when I first started experiencing the resistance and clicking and most likely could have had it fixed under warranty. I chose not to, used it for an extended period of time and the lockup finally occurred right at the 18 month period from purchase as well.

You will get the lens back, like I did, with a 6 month warranty. If anything even SEEMS wrong this time, it's going back in(!), but so far, all looks great.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:02 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13
Default

The interesting thing is that there was no indication whatsoever of any problem. None. It was smooth as could be and sharp as ever. It was a complete surprise to me.

I guess I would be very interested to know if this is a known issue with this lens and if there is a possibility of recovering all or some of that $300 fee.

In either case, I adore my E-3 and love this lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Hard to say exactly what the cause of the problem is, but in reading similar posts from other 12-60 users on the Olympus DSLR page at DPReview, the one common issue happening prior to the lens' aperture locking up was, in my case, a slight resistance between the 12-18mm settings along with a slight clicking sound at the time you hit the resistance. With other users the resistance was happening at other placing in the zoom range.

In the case of what was happening with my lens, it's been happening for a while and I could have/should have sent my lens in when I first started experiencing the resistance and clicking and most likely could have had it fixed under warranty. I chose not to, used it for an extended period of time and the lockup finally occurred right at the 18 month period from purchase as well.

You will get the lens back, like I did, with a 6 month warranty. If anything even SEEMS wrong this time, it's going back in(!), but so far, all looks great.
Kiki FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:31 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki FL View Post
The interesting thing is that there was no indication whatsoever of any problem. None. It was smooth as could be and sharp as ever. It was a complete surprise to me.

I guess I would be very interested to know if this is a known issue with this lens and if there is a possibility of recovering all or some of that $300 fee.

In either case, I adore my E-3 and love this lens.
I would imagine the chances of getting any of your money back are nil.

If the problem was wide-spread, Olympus would have initiated a call-back notice and done preventative maintenance on all 12-60's sold. Chances are, there's a batch where something just wasn't right mechanically and you and I were two of the lucky ones .

I love mine too, but if it happens again and I'm out-of-warranty and looking at another $300 or more, I may just buy an 11-22 instead.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.