Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:44 PM   #1

Default Well, it finally happened to mine....

Not too long ago there was a post at DPReview where a user was experiencing a slight sticking point in the zoom action between the 12mm ad 18mm focal length settings on their 12-60mm f2.8-4, closer to the 18mm setting and was wondering if anyone else had experienced it.

I noted mine has had that for a while now, but it was minor enough I had just ignored it. One or two others mentioned after a while of doing it the aperture leaves in their lenses had locked up and the lens had to be sent to Olympus to be repaired.

Well, it happened to mine this morning the first time I tried using the lens at the Arboretum. It's now locked, stopped down to f8, so off to Olympus it's going next week to be fixed. A minor annoyance for sure, but I guess a better problem to be having than than the gas petal in my car sticking down!

If anyone else has this lens and has noticed any sticking in that area of the zoom ring, you might want to consider sending it in and having it looked at.

Greg
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:24 PM   #2

Hi, Greg

I don't have the 12-60 but the same issue had been noted on DPR with my Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm, and sure enough it has just started to happen with mine. At this point I can get it to zoom by aiming it up vertical while zooming but that's not a good solution. I figure I'll have to send mine in for repair also.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:42 PM   #3

I didn't do a very good job explaining what was happening. The lens zooms fine. What's stuck are the aperture leaves, at around f8 or f11. When you look through the finder as it's very dark. There was just a slight ticking sound and you could feel a definite jump in the zoom as you hit the same spot every time.

Fortunately, I hear once you've had it corrected by Olympus, all is fine.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:45 PM   #4

Hi Greg

Sorry to hear about the problem with the lens. Its the first time I've heard about it. It got me wondering if any other Oly lens has the same problem or is it just with the 12-60 ?

Cheers

HArj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:48 PM   #5

Hi Harj.

I'm guessing...worst case scenario, there was an issue with a small batch of lenses for the very reason you say. I look back at the post below and my comments and laugh at myself for not going ahead and having it checked then. What the OP described fits exactly what was happening to mine.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34617936
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:03 AM   #6

Default A bummer

Sorry to hear. Is it still in warrantee? Have Olympus given you an idea as to what to expect?

I have been lucky with my current stuff. I haven't had anything fail yet. That wasn't the case in the film days, but the Zuikos and Oly bodies have been great to me.

Sure hope they treat you right here!

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:23 AM   #7

That's a bummer, Greg. Given the fact that Olympus had a recall on the 12-60mm lens a while back, my understanding would be that they should repair and return under warranty, regardless of age.

So far my 12-60mm is operating normally. Hopefully it will continue.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Sorry to hear. Is it still in warrantee? Have Olympus given you an idea as to what to expect?

I have been lucky with my current stuff. I haven't had anything fail yet. That wasn't the case in the film days, but the Zuikos and Oly bodies have been great to me.

Sure hope they treat you right here!
I'm sure they will get it right. I have owned the lens now for well over a year, closer to 2 years so it is out of the warranty period.

The only other time I have ever sent anything back to them was when I sent them my E1 when the rubber grip material started peeling off after around 6-8 months.

I'm calling today to ask them a couple of questions about the online servive form and they should have the lens by the end of the week.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
That's a bummer, Greg. Given the fact that Olympus had a recall on the 12-60mm lens a while back, my understanding would be that they should repair and return under warranty, regardless of age.

So far my 12-60mm is operating normally. Hopefully it will continue.
Zig
We'll see. I do "recall" a recall about an AF issue. I don't think this particular problem is related to the AF system, but we'll see.

I called this morning and was told it could be anywhere from $90-$150 for an out-of-warranty repair, depending on the problem. Assuming the actual cost is not way out of line from either of those amounts, the lens' value is enough that it's definitely worth the investment to repair so it'll be heading in this week.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post

I called this morning and was told it could be anywhere from $90-$150 for an out-of-warranty repair, depending on the problem. Assuming the actual cost is not way out of line from either of those amounts, the lens' value is enough that it's definitely worth the investment to repair so it'll be heading in this week.
Wow.....just got the email.....$293! I'm getting it fixed, but jeez, Louise.