Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:54 PM   #1

Default A funny thing happened in Wolf Cameras today...

A funny thing happened in Wolf Cameras today. I have an Olympus e600 camera and was trying to get hold of an extra lens for it. I have the 14-42 lens but fancied one that extended my "reach" some.

When I saw a Wolf Cameras, I stopped and asked about lenses. The cashier replied "I sorry, we don't carry them, you might want to try a camera shop." I tried not to laugh, honest, especially as she was standing in front a bank of Nikon and Canon cameras as she said it.

On the subject of lenses, does anyone know of a good shop for Olympus 4/3 lenses in the Sacramento/San Francisco area?
JimBowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:18 AM   #2

That is funny, how can you work at a camera shop and not know lenses. Very funny.

I have a crazy story, I was in a local camera shop in nyc yesterday, picking up something. In the course of 15 min as bh and adorama where both close for passover. I saw 2 kids, in their early 20's pick up a canon ef 70-300mm 2.8L IS lens, the walk in 15 mins apart. Needless to say that make the shops day. 1800 dollar lenses and some upsell items one brought a T2i also. Think one of the lenses will be making it's way Europe, as the kid seem like he was on holiday. 15 min and sold about 5000 worth of lens and camera equipment.

I wish I had that kind of camera budget when I was in collage
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBowen1 View Post

When I saw a Wolf Cameras, I stopped and asked about lenses. The cashier replied "I sorry, we don't carry them, you might want to try a camera shop." I tried not to laugh, honest, especially as she was standing in front a bank of Nikon and Canon cameras as she said it.
That's always been my feeling about Wolf Camera. Nice to know their own employees confirm it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:10 PM   #4

Quote:
On the subject of lenses, does anyone know of a good shop for Olympus 4/3 lenses in the Sacramento/San Francisco area?
I live in the Bay Area and I can tell you...you are pretty much out of luck. There is one camera shop in Palo Alto but they charge an arm and a leg for just about anything they sell. In San Francisco there are plenty of camera shops at the Fisherman's Warf but they are shops primarily for tourists. They sell grey market stuff and do not have any return policy (NO MONEY BACK). So, I'd stay away from them. In San Jose there is San Jose Camera. They've been in business for a long time but their selection is very sad to say the least. So, your best bets are Amazon, B&H, Beachcamera, Adorama, BUYDIG, Abes of Maine, among a few other reputable online retailers. The good thing about them? You don't pay the ridiculous 9.25% local sales tax and most of them won't charge s/h either.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:20 PM   #5

I think amazon is now collecting all state sales for the states that pass similar laws like NYS stupid law about vendors that sell on amazon even if the item does not come from your home state.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:45 PM   #6

Well, some eBay sellers charge state taxes. So, I guess the rule is, you must charge state taxes if you operate in that state (whether you sell through Amazon or any other online retailer).

Tullio
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:53 PM   #7

Actually the nys law make even non NYS seller charge the sales tax on amazon because amazon have referrals in base in NYS.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 4:11 AM   #8

Quote:
When I saw a Wolf Cameras, I stopped and asked about lenses. The cashier replied "I sorry, we don't carry them, you might want to try a camera shop."
I would write to the manager, and complain about the way I was treated, and the stupidity of the salesperson.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:57 PM   #9

Better yet, ask to speak with the manager right there and then!

Tullio
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
That's always been my feeling about Wolf Camera. Nice to know their own employees confirm it.
Its the same up here
I went into Seneal Camera and the guy behind the counter
knew less that me about the E-520 which I was interested in.
I knew NOTHING about the E-520
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote