Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:34 PM   #1

Default 14-35 SHG f/2 lens at EV=4

OK, this is not about birds, flowers, or animals.

But this is mostly where and what I shoot, and why I bought the 2 Oly SHG f/2 lenses. These were shot with the 14-35, and I'm posting these because there's a lot of controversy about whether the 14-35 can actually lock focus in low light. These are shot at ~EV=4 (hand-held) and the 14-35 locked focus immediately.

http://tkurkowski.smugmug.com/Tibeta...35_7nic4-L.jpg

http://tkurkowski.smugmug.com/Tibeta...25_jBnJc-L.jpg

http://tkurkowski.smugmug.com/Tibeta...03_u8fAH-L.jpg

I'm not sure why they don't load directly in this post in this forum (they load fine in DPReview). But you might enjoy looking at them.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:47 PM   #2

Hi Ted,

These images are probably the first I've seen taken with a 14-35mm lens.
Very sharp indeed.

Thanks for posting them.

BTW,

When I post images from smugmug, I copy the image address then press the manage attachments button in Steve's digicam and paste it. Seems to work okay.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,

These images are probably the first I've seen taken with a 14-35mm lens.
Very sharp indeed.

Thanks for posting them.

BTW,

When I post images from smugmug, I copy the image address then press the manage attachments button in Steve's digicam and paste it. Seems to work okay.
Zig
Thanks, Zig. I'll try that.

Glad you responded to the images.

Ted
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:28 PM   #4

Excellent color, sharpness and expression.

(Smugmug tip for the lazy: hold your mouse over the photo itself, copy, then paste into the forum post. Your "share" tab in Smugmug should be set to "yes".)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 8:30 PM   #5

Thanks, Steven.

Ted
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:26 PM   #6

The 14-35 f2 is a lens I have always really looked at.....hard. I've played with one at Arlington Camera and shot a couple of images using my camera. The lens is very much like the 7-14 in terms of physical size and the time I played with it with an E510, the lens snapped into focus pretty darn fast too. With the ne $300 rebate, it's as affordable as it has ever been.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:45 AM   #7

There apparently are folks who have problems with it focusing properly, but when I got mine I took it into the basement, turned off most of the lighting, and it focused fine.

I've always been surprised that it doesn't have the reputation that the 35-100 has. I suspect that one reason (other than the focus complaints) is that its range is less than that of the "normal" (Oly kit) zooms so unless folks need the speed they've been reluctant to spend the money over the kit lens they already have. Thus Oly probably hasn't sold that many. But in my experience its IQ is in the same league as the 35-100.

I do wish it had a completely internal zoom but I suspect that's very hard to do when you get down to shorter focal lengths.

Ted
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:14 PM   #8

Canon and Nikon replaced their 28-70mm f2.8 zooms with new versions starting at 24mm. If this were a 12-35mm f2, I would be even more interested, but as-is it's still excellent. The price for many is the big hurdle. Thats a lot of money, even with the $300 rebate.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 7:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Canon and Nikon replaced their 28-70mm f2.8 zooms with new versions starting at 24mm. If this were a 12-35mm f2, I would be even more interested, but as-is it's still excellent. The price for many is the big hurdle. That's a lot of money, even with the $300 rebate.
Greg, I'd love it to be a 12-35mm f/2. But I think that if they would try to expand the FL range from 14mm down to 12mm, keeping the constant f/2 gets way, way more complex in terms of the lens design.

Ted
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:30 PM   #10

Hi Ted

THose are looking pretty fine to me ! Regards the lens and focusing issues .. I did raise this with Oly UK and told them for the $$$$$ theyre asking esp in the UK, it just wasnt an option until they fixed the AF issues. Theyre reply was that there were two versions of the lens, which might explain why you've not hit a problem with it and others have just had so many problems with it.

The price in the UK hasn;t shifted a bit in the UK... it was nearly the same as the 35-100F2 last time I looked and the way we get "conned" in the UK I doubt Oly will let us have a $300/300 rebate on the lens either!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote