Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:10 AM   #1

Default New NHL Action from Wednesday evening (E30)

Shot using the 50-200 SWD. Same setup as before. Shutter Speed Priority at 1/1000 second and auto ISO.

The difference in shooting this game was, I tried out the High Gradation setting and found, compared to regular gradation with +1 stop exposure compensation, the results were very similar EXCEPT using the high gradation setting the camera didn't choose as high an ISO setting. As a result I wound up with a lot more images between ISO 1000-1600, even a few as low as ISO 800, and fewer captured between ISO 2000-3200.

Beat the Sharks!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 2, 2010 at 12:12 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:12 AM   #2

Greg, looks like the whites are a little brighter without being blown. did you do any pp or are they straight out of the camera. I have a theory that oly changed the curves a little in the processing of the jpegs in the high & low grad settings, other than just increasing exposure to the positive or negative side. the reason i ask about pp is on my monitor there is great tonal variances in the whites in your latest shots.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:36 AM   #3

Hi Charles.

Cropping and straightening was the limit of computer processing I did. In the heat of the action I sometimes just don't get 'em level enough and the 200mm setting from one end of the rink doesn't quite get as close to the action at the other end as I'd like.

I think you're right about the curves adjustment when using either high or low grade, where I see the same thing. Using a setting appropriate to the scene looks to really be a benefit so I will be doing it whenever it works.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:16 AM   #4

Once again, great pics. Pity the Stars aren't having a better year but oh well, could be worse, you could be an Oilers fan like me. I take it the Stars don't have a no sharing policy when it comes to pics taken at their games.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:28 AM   #5

Hi John.

If the Stars do, they aren't "sharing" it!

Speaking of the Oilers...

Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:06 PM   #6

More great shots. Only thing missing is a shot with the puck in the Edmonton net, seen a lot of that this year. I'm guessing the Oilers lost the game, as well as the fight.

I'm sure if the Stars had a no share policy you'd know by now, or they just wouldn't let you in with the 50-200. I believ the MLS team in Seattle has such a policy but that's the only one i know of.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:12 PM   #7

At the pro level, policies very....alot. The Dallas Mavericks of the NBA play in this same stadium, but there's no way I could ever get this setup in for a Mavs game. No lenses longer than 4 inches is the policy for any event at American Airlines Center except for Stars games, so the Stars have chosen to relax the rule.

As long as it can fit under my seat, I can bring pretty much any type bag in to a Texas Rangers major league baseball game and the horse track is very accomodating too. I often see people at Rangers games with pro lenses and monopods at their seats. They are very relaxed as long as you don't go to an extreme that bothers people around you, but other teams policies are not nearly as lenient. You just have to go to the security page of a team and verify the policy before you go.

The fight was pretty much a draw. It was a very chippy game. Lot's of bad attitudes and, probably, guys playing for jobs next year.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 3, 2010 at 7:15 PM.