Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:21 AM   #1

Default Is photography an addiction?

The weather here has been horrible for the last week and I'm stating to have withdraws. Sure i could do work in the studio, or keep sorting thru pics I have already shot but it's not the same as being in the field and just finding stuff to shoot. Do others here get as grumpy when they can't shoot? At least there is ebay and KEH and the rest so I can keep buying stuff. Now if only I could go use it. Sigh.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Do others here get as grumpy when they can't shoot?
John
I do, particularly on weekends.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:39 AM   #3

I guess I'm different (not that it took me this long to figure that out)

Photography, for me, is an extention of some other passions I have.

I love the dog sports, and photographing the dogs is pushing that to another level.

I love freezing the action.

I love catching a look that shows the intensity

or catching a moment that shows a strong tie between the dog and their human.

I love outdoors, and that has created another whole area to capture. For me its these passions that drive my photography. Photography is an extention.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Apr 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:15 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
The weather here has been horrible for the last week and I'm stating to have withdraws. Sure i could do work in the studio, or keep sorting thru pics I have already shot but it's not the same as being in the field and just finding stuff to shoot. Do others here get as grumpy when they can't shoot? At least there is ebay and KEH and the rest so I can keep buying stuff. Now if only I could go use it. Sigh.

John
Photography.... photography.... who said photography.... I want to shoot!!! With a bad ankle, my shooting is limited at the moment and it drives me crazy. I've taken a couple today to help explain exposure to a member having problems but it's not really creative. It does however keep my brain working and all the time I'm on here I'm learning something about photography.

Oh, it's 33 deg C here today and I'm stuck in doors missing the sun, if I was organised/not so lazy I would at least sit on the balcony and enjoy it LOL.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:55 AM   #5

My backyard has been photographed probably more than any other backyard in the world...lol. Since I live in an ordinary neighborhood, there is very little to photograph nearby. So, unless I drive somewhere, I'm stuck with my backyard. I also take my camera to work with me everyday (not that I take pictures every day, on the contrary...it's just the need to have it near me...sick, I know!!!). The beauty of digital photography is that when I have withdraws, I can shoot dirty knives sitting inside the sink and then...well, delete the images as soon as I upload them to my computer because they are not worth the space in my hard drive! The cost of that exercise? Zero dollars (or my I say...priceless?!?).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I do, particularly on weekends.

Ted
Good to know I'm not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
My backyard has been photographed probably more than any other backyard in the world...lol. Since I live in an ordinary neighborhood, there is very little to photograph nearby. So, unless I drive somewhere, I'm stuck with my backyard. I also take my camera to work with me everyday (not that I take pictures every day, on the contrary...it's just the need to have it near me...sick, I know!!!). The beauty of digital photography is that when I have withdraws, I can shoot dirty knives sitting inside the sink and then...well, delete the images as soon as I upload them to my computer because they are not worth the space in my hard drive! The cost of that exercise? Zero dollars (or my I say...priceless?!?).
Yeah, I do that too but it's not the same. There's always things i can set up to photo inside but it's not the same as coming across something to shoot, like the snake or the morning dove of last weekend, neither of which was at all expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Photography.... photography.... who said photography.... I want to shoot!!! With a bad ankle, my shooting is limited at the moment and it drives me crazy. I've taken a couple today to help explain exposure to a member having problems but it's not really creative. It does however keep my brain working and all the time I'm on here I'm learning something about photography.

Oh, it's 33 deg C here today and I'm stuck in doors missing the sun, if I was organised/not so lazy I would at least sit on the balcony and enjoy it LOL.
Being here learning is great too, it helps to keep me sane at times like this. As for the nice weather you're having, that will create a whole new set of problems for me since I shoot a lot in parks which will get crowded in a hurry when the sun finally comes out here again.

And great shots Greg. I too love the outdoors which is why it makes me grumpy when I can't shoot. I managed all of 3 shots outside in the last week, none of which I'll likely keep.

John
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:10 PM   #7

Default Addiction or passion?

Rather than being an addiction, I prefer to think of it as a passion that allows me to 'see' the world around me through a different prism.(no pun intended)

While I don't get grumpy, I'm infinitely happier when I start my day grabbing my camera, taking a walk and capturing the new day dawning.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:39 AM   #8

Got a bit of a fix today, lots of pics of a chipmunk eating seeds under moms bird feeder but in bad light w/o a tripod so i doubt many will be keepers. At least it was something to shoot and a bit different.

John
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:43 PM   #9

If you call getting up before light on the weekends when you have the days off, and backpacking stools and tripods and cameras and lenses, then walking a half mile through mud and muck to sit in a swamp full of mosquitos in the hopes that at dawn you may or may not be lucky enough to take a couple shots of a duck or goose an addiction, then sign me up for the PAC, photo addiction class : )
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
If you call getting up before light on the weekends when you have the days off, and backpacking stools and tripods and cameras and lenses, then walking a half mile through mud and muck to sit in a swamp full of mosquitos in the hopes that at dawn you may or may not be lucky enough to take a couple shots of a duck or goose an addiction, then sign me up for the PAC, photo addiction class : )
Eric
That's a lot more dedication than I have though I often walk a couple of miles or more trying to find a shot. It's the thrill of the hunt that I miss, sounds like you enjoy that as well.

John