Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:25 AM   #1

Default Viewfinders

How does the viewfinder on the E-1 compare to the 500? I know it is bigger and better but how much? Is it like night and day? Does it compare well to one on an SLR? I was playing around with an old Canon TX SLR the other day and really liked the microprism screen in it. I have only used the split screens but the MP seemed even better so I plan to get one to put into a DSLR and since the E-3 isn't meant to have an aftermarket screen my choice seems to be a 500 or 600 series camera or an E-1. Thanks as always for any and all help.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:35 AM   #2

The E1 finder is big, really big compared to an E300 or E500, but none of the screens have a wedge rangefinder or microprism screen like you used to have on film SLR's so me and my bad eyes don't do well manually focussing. I have the grid screen mounted in mine, which is great for composition purposes.

Magnification-wise, it compares more to an SLR like the Nikon F3 with the High Eyepoint finder fitted because it shows 100% of the screen and is easy for me as a glasses wearer to see everything in one glance without having to move my eye around. Finders on cameras like a Nikon FM2N or Pentax MX were much easier for me to use from a manual focussing standpoint.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:08 AM   #3

You may want to pick up the E-1 and give the viewfinder a try before using the split prism. It really is quite an improvement over Oly's pentamirror cameras (everything but the E-1, E-3, E-30) and you may find youe eye is good enough.

If its not good enough, you can always modify it.

Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 5:01 PM   #4

Default Thanks.

Thanks guys, good advice as always. Now I just have to find an E-1 for the right price. As someone with glasses it's nice to know i that could see everything w/o moving my eyes or head, I pretty much ignore the info in the viewfinder of the 500 unless I really need to know what the shutter speed is.

John
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:20 PM   #5

Here is a link to a chart put together by, Wrotniak on his site, dealing with various finder sizes:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/view-size.html

If you do buy an E-1, check at KEH.com as they often times have focus screens available for the E-1 for really short money. The last I looked, they had one available for around $1.50. Yes, that's right a buck and a half.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:33 PM   #6
Administrator

Here's another chart that you may find handy:

http://www.neocamera.com/feature_viewfinder_sizes.php

I don't see the E-1 (although the newer E-3 is there, and it's got a number of other models listed, too). Also note that you can find magnifying eyepieces to get a larger effective viewfinder size for many cameras now (and I've seen them mentioned before for use on some of the Olympus dSLR models, too).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Here's another chart that you may find handy:

http://www.neocamera.com/feature_viewfinder_sizes.php

Also note that you can find magnifying eyepieces to get a larger effective viewfinder size for many cameras now (and I've seen them mentioned before for use on some of the Olympus dSLR models, too).

Just a word of caution on the magnifying eyepieces for use with an E-5XX series dslr. I used an ME-1 eyepiece( made by Olympus) for my E-500 and E-510. The eyepiece worked as advertised with the caveat, that the information display found in the right hand side of the viewfinder was all but obliterated.

By the way Jim, My wife and I passed through Savannah on my way home on Thursday.
We had dinner at the Chart House on the river front. You live in a charming city with lots of photo opps. Unfortunately, we didn't stay long enough.
Next year, we plan on spending a couple of days there and hope to see a lot more.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 7:16 AM   #8
Administrator

Zig:

Great. Send me a PM the next time you plan on coming and perhaps my wife and I can meet you guys for lunch or something.

JimC
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Just a word of caution on the magnifying eyepieces for use with an E-5XX series dslr. I used an ME-1 eyepiece( made by Olympus) for my E-500 and E-510. The eyepiece worked as advertised with the caveat, that the information display found in the right hand side of the viewfinder was all but obliterated.
Zig
FWIW, the Panasonic VYC0973 (which was provided as an accessory with the DMC-L10) has a better reputation than the Oly ME-1 (from folks who have used both), fits Oly DSLRs, and is slightly less expensive. It doesn't block the info display (although I have to move my eye to the left to see it) on the relatively small viewfinder of my L-1 but does completely block the display on the large viewfinder of the E-3.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Here is a link to a chart put together by, Wrotniak on his site, dealing with various finder sizes:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/view-size.html

If you do buy an E-1, check at KEH.com as they often times have focus screens available for the E-1 for really short money. The last I looked, they had one available for around $1.50. Yes, that's right a buck and a half.

Zig

Thanks Zig. I didn't see the E-1 on the chart but from what I have read it's smaller than the E-3 but would still be huge compared to what I have now. Funny that i would end up with the worst viewfinder there is for using old glass with.

No screens at KEH at this time, but no E-1 bodies either, just kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
FWIW, the Panasonic VYC0973 (which was provided as an accessory with the DMC-L10) has a better reputation than the Oly ME-1 (from folks who have used both), fits Oly DSLRs, and is slightly less expensive. It doesn't block the info display (although I have to move my eye to the left to see it) on the relatively small viewfinder of my L-1 but does completely block the display on the large viewfinder of the E-3.

Ted
Interesting, if i didn't have the ME-1 I'd look into it, well maybe i will anyway as the ME-1 does make the viewfinder info pretty much useless.

John