Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:02 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default The "Got my E-PL1" thread.

Well, after many years of following the m4/3 system, I purchased my Olympus EPL-1 today (in blue).

Took it out of the box and got a few pictures in before the battery died. It only came with a small charge. I wish they would have shipped it out in the large size fine compression instead of normal compression, which I didn't notice til too late.

Initial impressions are highly favorable. The size is very nice, its not too small, but not too big either. A perfect size for a day spent in the city or for travel. Build quality is good, not as solid as the ep1/2 but the craftmanship is high, no creaks or seams, good finish.

As for shooting, its really a joy. The menu system is quite intuitive and made it very easy to change between normal and bracketed exposures and to change between single shot and continuous drive. Exposure comp and aperture settings in apeture priority take an extra button press for this model since it lacks a control dial, but in use it is quite easy to navigate and does not slow you down much.

Overall based on my very limited exposure to it at this point, I am extremely happy with this camera. It just "feels right" to me when shooting and was a ton of fun. I also tested the GF1 from Panny, but for me personally it didn't feel quite the same for my personal tastes. Hence why I always suggest you try out all models in your interested class when making buying decisions.

Here are a few sample photos, again, limited time, limited batter and in too high of compression.

#1 "The Vendor" - Very nice guy, he commented on my camera and seemed interested in photography, and welcomed me to Cleveland. He ran a Cambodian food stall, which I grabbed some food for later. I liked the directional lighting, contrast and the moment holding the money.

#2 "Produce Vendor" This lady seemed very happy to be selling produce in her station, happily offering deals to passerbys.

#3 "Cafe"

#4 "The Market" Liked the textures in the ceiling and stations, which I tried to enhance with a mono conversion.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:56 PM   #2

Congrats on getting your new E-PL1 camera!

Your initial images look great- with plenty of resolution and detail. I'm envious as I think, from a price / performance / size perspective, the EPL-1 is the best m43 offering currently on the market. It is a camera that I would love to take to the streets or travel with.

Looking forward to seeing you post more pics.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:39 PM   #3

Really excellent-looking images. Love the black & whites. That enterior shot really has some great dynamic range, great colors in the indoor market shot and very good exposure for a backlit shot outside the market.

I could see me liking an E-PL1, especially once the EVF becomes available for sale separately.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks Zig and Greg.

I plan to go out shooting again tomorrow if they weather holds up. With a full battery and everything set-up properly as well :P

I have to say that it would be dangerous for either of you to handle the camera. It is one of those cameras that just has a good feel to it. It's compact, but not tiny with good ergonomics and an intuitive interface, not many buttons, but the ones that are there are used well. Actually, the shooting was better than I had even expected.

Anyways, I will hopefully have some more to share tomorrow and definately more this week. I can see my big Canon 50d being left at home more often than not now, as much of what I shoot can be done with the m4/3.

and I do plan to get the EVF once they have it instock.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:55 PM   #5

Hards,

I really like the black and white. The details of the market brick ceiling came out great. Glad you are enjoying you EPL-1. and congrats on the new camera.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:10 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Hards,

I really like the black and white. The details of the market brick ceiling came out great. Glad you are enjoying you EPL-1. and congrats on the new camera.
thanks! yea the inside shots came out well, think they were both iso 1600. and can be even better with the correct jpeg compression and some tweaks of the NR. i am really enjoying
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:13 AM   #7

I am glad you like the little EVIL.

Now we just need to get a spot for the growing EVIL users to post here. Instead of bouncing back and forth between the oly and panny forums,
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:15 AM   #8

Dustin-

Those are impressive EPL-1 photos. How is the LCD to work with? I notice you mentioned getting the evf as soon as possible. Does that mean lousy LCD? I am assuming that these photos were taken with the Oly 14-42 "kit" lens??

I'll be looking forward to more photos. Thanks in advance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:18 AM   #9

Sarah,

The LCD is not as nice as the EP2. At higher ISO you see yellow blobs. It does not show up on the computer, just on the lcd. The EVF is fantastic. My wife has been using it, and it is a world of difference then composing with the lcd.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:20 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Thanks Sarah.

The LCD is not lousy, its actually quite easy to see, even in the sun. I am just more comfortable shooting through a VF and I just find it a steadier position for me personally.