Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default EPL-1 Day 2

from the Cleveland Art Museum

(note- some are repeat from other forums, just putting them all here for examples for those interested in the new camera)

#2 (HDR)

#3(HDR)

#4(HDR)

#7(HDR)

Last edited by Hards80; Apr 7, 2010 at 12:02 AM.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
from the Cleveland Art Museum

(note- some are repeat from other forums, just putting them all here for examples for those interested in the new camera)

....and just imagine how much better you could really do if Olympus would just make some good lenses for it!

These are quite nice. Kit lens, or something else? Being HDR, I'm assuming a tripod was used. The museum here in Dallas might not let me in with an E620 and 9-18, much less with a tripod in-hand.

I know how nice it is working with an EVF in this type environment. I took my Panasonic FZ50 to Paris the last time I went and got some great images in the Louvre, as well as other chateau's in the area.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks Greg

Yes, the kit lens. i am looking to add the new olympus superwide when it comes out this summer. and probably going to get the panny 20 1.7 at some point as well.

the HDR were shot handheld. just bracketed and used the continuous shooting to minimize movement between frames. no tripods or flash photography allowed.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:34 AM   #4

Nice series. #1, #3, and #5 are my favorites. Just wondering how many Raw or JPEG files did you use in the HDR program for #7? Your new camera and the kit lens seem to be doing a fine job for you and your photos are proof of that...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:57 AM   #5

Another impressive series of images, Dustin.

The HDR images show great detail and color without looking overly processed as some HDR images that I've seen.

I love the fact that these were all shot with the kit lens.

Just curious, but have you had a chance to view any of the images at a 100% mag. to examine the resolution and sharpness. I tend to print images at 12 x 16 or 16 x 20. These certainly look sharp enough to be able to be printed at those sizes.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:18 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Dustin, as expected some lovely, well composed and exposed shots with great HDR as well.

My 'skewdar' says that number 3 is off by about half a degree.... yes I'm very picky, but I can't be totally nice about your shots

I'm really warming to having a small but high quality camera compared to a superzoom or compact and this seems to be a good option for sure.

Further evidence that a good photographer with the right tool (not the most expensive etc) can produce stunning results.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:01 AM   #7

zig,

The epl-1 with the kit lens is quite sharp. Oly does the same thing as the panny and correct for the short coming of the lens. Check out my thread, there are allot of extreme crop with the original photo to compare. No pp work. Starts at post 25.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ression-4.html
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:02 AM   #8

Hards,

Great series, glad to see the little evil is getting a bit of a workout.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Thanks Greg

Yes, the kit lens. i am looking to add the new olympus superwide when it comes out this summer. and probably going to get the panny 20 1.7 at some point as well.

the HDR were shot handheld. just bracketed and used the continuous shooting to minimize movement between frames. no tripods or flash photography allowed.
If the micro version of the 9-18 is as good as the SLR version, it will be a very, very nice lens. I have it with my 4/3rd's outfit and love it.

The way you framed some of those, one might think you were using wider than a 14mm lens, and that kit lens is quite good from everything I have seen shot with it. The only places you see anything negative about it are in the "reviews", which tells you something about how much weight one should put in those type reports!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:29 AM   #10
Super Moderator

thank you everyone. i am glad you enjoyed the series. and as you can tell i am enjoying shooting them and sharing.

Zig- Yes, I have examined them closely. and there is plenty of information from the lens and sensor for your larger-sized pictures. to be honest, there is just as much information in these files as my 50d below iso 1600. at iso 1600 there is even very little difference and i think that difference may be even smaller if i played with the NR a little.

Mark - you are right, its off a little. funny how you miss those things first time, thats why its great to post here. thanks buddy.

Greg - i am expedting the 9-18 to be optically nearly identical to the 4/3. and am really looking forward to that lens. i have no problems with the kit lens so far. good range, plenty sharp enough, nice and light. just not wide-enough sometimes. so that will make for a nice 2 lens kit when they release it this summer.

Shoturtle - yea, its getting quite a workout. and if the rain holds off, may be getting another 1 today.