Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Wow, that must be a weird state to be in. I add things just about every month, sometimes every week. I can't ever see being able to say I have all I need. I might get to the point where I can say I have all I can afford, but that's different.

John
John, not weird - my terrestrial photography equipment is just fine, especially related to the limited time I have to shoot. I do have a great set of 4/3 digital lenses and two great camera bodies.

You have no idea what the equipment universe is like until you get into astronomy.

It makes terrestrial photography equipment (and prices) very simple by comparison. And if that doesn't do it for you, try cabinetmaking equipment and tools. Each stationary wood machine is equivalent to a good DSLR body.

My point is simply that over the years I've found that it's financially better to only collect what I actually use. And my wife would vehemently agree.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 9, 2010 at 5:03 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:47 PM   #12

Fantastic birds aren't they. I've been sailing here on the Puget Sound for 15 years and to get out of the channel you pass under a nest that was there before me. I love to watch them fish and bring them in head-to-wind.

Seattle Seahawks have one they loose into the stadium as the team comes out. Flies around streaming his team coloured jesses like he owns the place, before landing on his "partners" wrist.

Nice photos ....aaaaghuuu. What's with my eyes?????????
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
John, not weird - my terrestrial photography equipment is just fine, especially related to the limited time I have to shoot. I do have a great set of 4/3 digital lenses and two great camera bodies.

You have no idea what the equipment universe is like until you get into astronomy.

It makes terrestrial photography equipment (and prices) very simple by comparison. And if that doesn't do it for you, try cabinetmaking equipment and tools. Each stationary wood machine is equivalent to a good DSLR body.

My point is simply that over the years I've found that it's financially better to only collect what I actually use. And my wife would vehemently agree.

Ted
But how do you know if you'll use it unless you buy it?

I'll leave the stars to you, as much as I like to look at them (well if I'm out of the city that is) I prefer to shoot things much smaller.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 3:16 PM   #14

Quote:
But how do you know if you'll use it unless you buy it?

John
John, you and I just seem to have a very different approach. I'm an engineer. I figure out what I want to do, investigate tool specifications, decide what tool allows me to do it, and buy that tool. I don't buy tools and then figure out what they can do afterwards.

Ted
Old Apr 10, 2010, 4:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
John, you and I just seem to have a very different approach. I'm an engineer. I figure out what I want to do, investigate tool specifications, decide what tool allows me to do it, and buy that tool. I don't buy tools and then figure out what they can do afterwards.

Ted
Hi Ted. I was sort of kidding there, my purchases are not quite that random. I have stuff now that probably won't get used much but at the time the purchase made good sense. It is all cheap and easily resold on ebay so i don't worry about it. If I see another 300mm lens i think might be good I'll buy it. If it's not better than what I have I'll see about selling it. I have a more creative and less enginered approach but we both get to the same resuts in the end, a tool that does just what we want. I just end up with more clutter.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 4:55 PM   #16

Quote:
I just end up with more clutter.

John
Hi, John.
With all my hobbies over the years I have way more clutter than I need. I guess that at this point in my life I want to simplify things.

Ted