Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Osprey Photos from Cape Cod-(not mine)

I'm again going to be monitoring an Osprey nest located in Barnstable, here on Cape Cod. I'm a volunteering my time to the Mass. Audibon Society. The work is being done to further the knowledge base on the life of Ospreys, their ability to successfully bear young, and their life cycle. Hopefully, this year, I'll get a better chance to take a few keeper images.

In the meantime, for those interested, here is a link to a site maintained- I believe- by a fellow named Craig Gibson who has taken some amazing images of Ospreys over the last 2 years.

I realize that the equipment used is Canon and not Olympus. However, I appreciate the hard work and dedication it takes to get images of this quality. For those interested in taking photos of BIF, these are stunning.

Zig

http://www.pbase.com/ospreynetworkcc..._images&page=1
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:44 PM   #2

The one titled "Plow Penny Rd., Bourne" (middle one in the bottom row of page 1) showing the osprey head on, is particularly striking.

And unlike rumors to the contrary over at DPR, looking at images shot with a Canon did not harm my eyesight.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The one titled "Plow Penny Rd., Bourne" (middle one in the bottom row of page 1) showing the osprey head on, is particularly striking.

And unlike rumors to the contrary over at DPR, looking at images shot with a Canon did not harm my eyesight.

Ted
Hi Ted,

Glad to hear your eyesight wasn't harmed in any way viewing those.

Speaking of eyesight did you happen to look at Dustin's E-PL1 post showing photos of an indoor market place in Cleveland. One of the booths in the market is named the Perogi Palace.

I know how much you enjoy a good Perogi. Perhaps a road trip to Cleveland is in order!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,

I know how much you enjoy a good Perogi. Perhaps a road trip to Cleveland is in order!
Whatever a Perogi is, I'm sure I would like it. There aren't too many sandwiches of any type I have turned down in my life. I haven't had, I believe they called it a "grinder", since I was last up there on my way back to Albany from Burlington.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Whatever a Perogi is, I'm sure I would like it. There aren't too many sandwiches of any type I have turned down in my life. I haven't had, I believe they called it a "grinder", since I was last up there on my way back to Albany from Burlington.
Greg, it's a dumpling stuffed with a variety of fillings - sort of the Polish equivalent of ravioli but without the tomato sauce. You can find them in the freezer section of some supermarkets but eating those is equivalent to shooting with a P&S when you have a DSLR...

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 7, 2010 at 6:51 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,

Glad to hear your eyesight wasn't harmed in any way viewing those.

Speaking of eyesight did you happen to look at Dustin's E-PL1 post showing photos of an indoor market place in Cleveland. One of the booths in the market is named the Perogi Palace.

Maybe. But I would have to go to Cleveland! (Sorry, Dustin)

The closest I can get to the quality my mother used to make, before she got too tired to make them (I've tried it and it's a HUGE amount of work) is in the city that has the 2nd largest Polish population outside of Warsaw: Chicago. Since that's where my parents live I get there occasionally, but not often enough to feed my craving for pierogi, or for real rye bread (you really don't know what that is unless you've had it made in Chicago - sorry, any of you who are New Yorkers...).

I still plan to order pierogi from the web site you sent me a while ago. Just haven't had the funds to do it yet, related to my photographic habit sucking up my disposable income. But at this point I really do have all the equipment I need.

Really I do.

Ted
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:41 PM   #7

Hi Ted,

Thanks for correcting my spelling of Pierogi. And yes, I would agree that Chicago is the place to go if you want authentic Polish cuisine. It's about the only place in this country where you can walk into a polish deli and have the fellow behind the counter actually talk to you in Polish.

Zig
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:48 PM   #8

Quote:
....................... Just haven't had the funds to do it yet, related to my photographic habit sucking up my disposable income. But at this point I really do have all the equipment I need.

Really I do.

Ted
Yeah, sure. I keep telling myself that too. I think it's called self-delusion.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Yeah, sure. I keep telling myself that too. I think it's called self-delusion.
Moi? Self-deluded?

Although I was being facetious, it is true that I have all the glass I need. If Oly releases the next E-x with better high-ISO performance I'll be interested but otherwise I actually am happy with my gear. It's capable of taking better images than I am.

Ted
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Moi? Self-deluded?

Although I was being facetious, it is true that I have all the glass I need. If Oly releases the next E-x with better high-ISO performance I'll be interested but otherwise I actually am happy with my gear. It's capable of taking better images than I am.

Ted
Wow, that must be a weird state to be in. I add things just about every month, sometimes every week. I can't ever see being able to say I have all I need. I might get to the point where I can say I have all I can afford, but that's different.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote