Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:30 PM   #1

Default Possibly buying E-Pl1... few questions

Hi all,

I have used P&S and this will be a real camera for me. I am on a budget so I will just be getting the camera and kit lens for now. I have heard that the kit lens is not so great for low light. I know that the Panny 20mm 1.7 is what I am going to buy but that will be later until I save some money after buying the camera. I want to know if there anre any third party cheap lens available that will work in low light.

Also those who own the camera, if you are walking down the street and want to shoot quickly, since I will be learning a lot will I be able to put it in auto and get good shots with it or do I have to stop make adjust setting etc before I can take some pics. How is the battery life and video quality.
sid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:37 PM   #2

You may want to check out this thread on the epl-1, right now there is only panasonic and olympus m4/3 lenses. But you can get olympus and sigma 4/3 lenses if you get the MMF1 or MMF2 form olympus or the DMW-MA1 form panasonic. The panasonic 20mm 1.7 is a very bright lens, and would make an excellent low light lens. But the kit lens is not that bad when it is at 14mm and f3.5. And it also has a flash so for up close work, the kit 14-42mm will do a decent job. The other option is the olympus m4/3 17mm 2.8. It is not as bright as the panny, but is brighter then the kit lens.

Also if you play around with the setting, you can use the camera to 2000iso, and stretch to 3200iso. So the kit lens can still perform decent in low light.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ression-3.html
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:18 PM   #3

sid-

The Panasonic 20mm F 1.7 lens is a good lens. I use it on my epl-1 and am pleased with the images. Here is a photo sample taken with the 20mm Panny. It was ISO 200 F 2.0 1/100th with cloudy WB and no flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:27 PM   #4
Super Moderator

well just so you know. even with a slower kit lens, the EPL-1 is in a whole other league compared to the point and shoots that you are accustomed to. it is very good at ISO 1600 and the image stabilizer works quite well. of course once you are able, adding the panny 20 1.7 (something i plan to do in the future as well will help too)

you can see some examples at ISO 1600 i took just yesterday here

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...1-day-2-a.html

and yes, you can just put the camera in P (program auto) mode and it will do just fine for quick snapshots, and you can even leave it in auto-ISO and really you wouldnt have to change anything for snapshots quickly.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
sid-

The Panasonic 20mm F 1.7 lens is a good lens. I use it on my epl-1 and am pleased with the images. Here is a photo sample taken with the 20mm Panny. It was ISO 200 F 2.0 1/100th with cloudy WB and no flash.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

How are you liking the EPL-1? Is it pretty impressive with the panny 20mm 1.7 and with IS on?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:09 PM   #6

Yes, the Oly EPL-1 arrived this morning at 11:00am and I only had time to charge the battery before I had to leave the house to teach my class at the Community College.

We (my husband and I) got home at 4:00pm and I loaded the battery and tried the Panny 20mm F1.7 lens which I had on hand after selling my Panny G-1. The photo, as many will recognize is my husband, Bradley, and it was an indoor-no flash shot, that worked out quite nicely.

It was shoturtle who had shared with me that the Panny 20mm would work just fine on the EPL-1. That lens really makes the EPL-1 a small package. It is quite nice. I am really liking the EPL-1 a lot, but I need more time to get familiar with the camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i am sure you will enjoy it Sarah. i have been really enjoying mine thus far.

while i don't mind carrying my 50d around. its actually quite nice to carry the much lighter epl-1, and not give up much on image quality.

what color did you get?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:26 AM   #8

Dustin-

I also selected the Slate Blue color. I am pleased, but I do have to get my head into the owner's manual, rather that just "winging it." Another busy day ahead, as this is doctor appointment day for Bradley and a bunch of tests, but I will take the owner's manual with as already sent me a link to update the me to read while we are waiting. All in all it is a very delightful adventure.

I have the lens adapter on order so I can use my Olympus 4/3 lenses, and I will probably get that at the end of next week. Shoturtle was great, he has already send me a link to update the firmware on the Panny 20mm F1.7 lens, so things are beginning to fall into place rather nicely.

I hope your move has gone smoothly and that all is well in CLE.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:35 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Sarah,

thank you, all is well here in CLE. i am enjoying a change of scenery!

and i actually have the slate blue model as well. i went into the store expecting to get the black one, but i rather liked the blue model.

my next purchase will be some adapters, well, and the EVF. i want to get some legacy glass started, just for fun some OM's and FDs
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:48 PM   #10

Dustin-

I already have one OM 50mm F 1.8 lens and I will also be starting to look at adding the Olympus 4/3 lenses as well. I now have two adapters headed my way. One for the Olympus 4/3 lenses which allows for for full AF and AE, and one adapter for the OM glasss.

Sarah Joyce