Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:37 AM   #1

Default Should I get a E-520 ?

After looking at MANY cameras and sample pics I put the E520 on my short list along with a couple canons and a couple bridge cameras.
Also was waiting on a decent deal on a camera to pop up.

Well, today I saw the 520 kit with the 18-42 lens at Dell.com for 399$ with shipping.

All in all not a super hot deal, but compared to other cameras in the range D3000, Canon XS this seems like the best bang for the buck.

I have poured over sample pics and feel good about what the camera can do.

One question is this. I have a 200mm lense for the Canon EOS that could be used on a Canon. Can I get a converter to use this on the Oly?

The only thing I dont like about the 520 is the CF XD formats. YUK!
stickboy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:33 AM   #2

i think the oly 520 and 2 lens kit 14-42 and 40-150 is around 400 right now. you should look for that kit if you are going to buy.
i am new to dslr but have that kit and love it.
dugger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:19 PM   #3

I heard that deal was at some Sam's clubs but haven't been able to find it.
That price for the 2 lens kit is a great deal. If I find it I will jump on it.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy2k View Post

One question is this. I have a 200mm lense for the Canon EOS that could be used on a Canon. Can I get a converter to use this on the Oly?
You can get an adapter but you won't be happy with the result. The flange distance on a 4/3 mount is such that a Canon lens plus 4/3 adapter puts the rear of the lens too far away from the imager to focus to infinity. As far as I know, only Canon lenses have this problem.

But the micro43 flange distance is shorter. I believe you can get Canon lenses to focus to infinity on micro43 cameras.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Super Moderator

The E520 is a bit limiting compared to the XS and the D3000. It has a truncated dynamic range and cannot compete at higher ISO's.

If you like Olympus. It is worth saving up a little more money and getting the E-620, which is a much more capable camera.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
You can get an adapter but you won't be happy with the result. The flange distance on a 4/3 mount is such that a Canon lens plus 4/3 adapter puts the rear of the lens too far away from the imager to focus to infinity. As far as I know, only Canon lenses have this problem.

But the micro43 flange distance is shorter. I believe you can get Canon lenses to focus to infinity on micro43 cameras.

Ted

the problem with EOS lenses on any converter is they have no aperture control. Making them all but useless.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
The E520 is a bit limiting compared to the XS and the D3000. It has a truncated dynamic range and cannot compete at higher ISO's.

If you like Olympus. It is worth saving up a little more money and getting the E-620, which is a much more capable camera.
Dustin is correct in that the E--520 is somewhat limiting as compared to the newer DSLR cameras i.e. the E-600, E-620, and the E-30.

If your budget is limited and you'd like to get a really great deal, you may consider picking up a factory refurbished model E-600 complete with the 2 kit lenses from Adorama priced at 489.00.

http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/IOME600K1R.html

The E-600 is a slightly stripped down version of the E-620. Primarily it lacks 3 of the art filters and backlit buttons. It does have a superior sensor, AF system and better dynamic range to the E-520.I believe that cameras refurbished by the manufacturer come with a factory new equip. warranty. But you should check with Adorama. If you' not familiar with the company, they are an online company that has a good reputation

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post

That is good to know. Thx.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Dustin is correct in that the E--520 is somewhat limiting as compared to the newer DSLR cameras i.e. the E-600, E-620, and the E-30.

If your budget is limited and you'd like to get a really great deal, you may consider picking up a factory refurbished model E-600 complete with the 2 kit lenses from Adorama priced at 489.00.

http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/IOME600K1R.html

The E-600 is a slightly stripped down version of the E-620. Primarily it lacks 3 of the art filters and backlit buttons. It does have a superior sensor, AF system and better dynamic range to the E-520.I believe that cameras refurbished by the manufacturer come with a factory new equip. warranty. But you should check with Adorama. If you' not familiar with the company, they are an online company that has a good reputation

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Zig
that is a great suggestion Zig. and 489 is a steal for that camera.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:37 PM   #10

I got an E-520 with the 2 lense kit , with an 8 GB card
used, almost 3 weeks ago. Excellent condition ( under 250 pictures )
I paid less than the price of a bridge camera ( A Noise Master FZ 35 ) lol

So far I am VERY happy with it.

If you can get the E-520 with the 2 lense kit for around $ 400.00 Scoop it up.
Just my opinion
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote