Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:49 PM   #1

Default Another Pro Using Oly Gear

is the National Geographic photographer Jay Dickman. You might enjoy his recent article in Outdoor Photographer magazine (a good magazine to subscribe to).

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/h...-maximize.html

Ted

PS: But Greg C. shouldn't read this one - he may regret selling his ZD 7-14, which is the lens Dickman uses most often. 8-)

Just kidding, Greg. Unless you are doing travel photography paid for by NatGeo, it's hard to justify that lens...

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 16, 2010 at 6:22 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:31 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up, Ted.

Leaves me wishing I had the funds to get all those fast lenses.....14-35mm,
35-100mm, 90-250mm, 7-14mm..........Oh well maybe my ship will come in someday - that is before the dock rots out

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Ted.
Leaves me wishing I had the funds to get all those fast lenses.....14-35mm,
35-100mm, 90-250mm, 7-14mm..........Oh well maybe my ship will come in someday - that is before the dock rots out
Zig
Zig, for the photography you do the most, I think you only need one of the fast ZD long telephotos, not the lenses you listed. Unfortunately, one of those costs almost as much as all the other lenses you listed together...

Ted

PS: Unfortunately you have to pay for quality - I use a lot of Wiebetech gear as he mentions. It's good gear but very expensive.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Zig, for the photography you do the most, I think you only need one of the fast ZD long telephotos, not the lenses you listed. Unfortunately, one of those costs almost as much as all the other lenses you listed together...

Ted
Hi Ted,

If I were to be serious for a minute, I can actually see me getting a good deal of use out of a 35-100mm as well as the 90-250mm. The 35-100mm for it's low light capabilities and the long telephoto zoom for wildlife.

As much as I'd like to own a ZD 300mm, I prefer the flexibility of a zoom over a prime. Realizing, of course, that the 90-250mm is pretty short at the long end for birding. Coupled with an EC-20, now that might be a dandy of a combination.

Zig
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:21 PM   #5

Hi, Zig

Yeah, I've always thought that the 90-250 is the perfect lens for you, for the photos you like to shoot.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 16, 2010 at 7:32 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:09 AM   #6

Great article, thanks for the post. Good to know I'm not the only one who likes to use DVDs as a secondary backup. Would be nice to be able to afford the gear he mentions although i must admit the lens I'd want would be the Sigma 300-800 (assuming it's any good) since that's the length I use the most other than macro.

On the subjects of magazines I'd recommend Nature Photographer. For a small fee anyone can become a 'field contributor' which allows you to send in unsolicited work, and I know some of the regs here could easily get their work published.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:16 AM   #7

He is known by Olympus

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...slr_events.asp

and his gallery is worth a glance too.

http://jaydickman.net/home/home.html

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Apr 17, 2010 at 9:20 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:33 PM   #8

Hi Ted

Thanks for posting that link.. its always good to see a Pro working with our gear ! Interesting that he sees that having all the kit is still small and can go into a carry case when travelling.

I think Oly dropped the ball when it came to wildlife and birding photogrphaers as they should have really pushed the benefits of the 2x crop factor and introduced at least a couple of HG 300+ F4 or faster primes.

Zig... I can only imagine how good it would be to have the 90-250 f2.8. It'd be a rdream combo. but I wonder how the 25-100F2 with the 2 x TC would be as a more affordable slightly shorter combo ?

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post

Zig... I can only imagine how good it would be to have the 90-250 f2.8. It'd be a rdream combo. but I wonder how the 35-100F2 with the 2 x TC would be as a more affordable slightly shorter combo ?

Cheers

Harj

Hi Harj,

Taking a 35-100mmf2 and adding the EC-20 doesn't appear to do a lot more for me than the existing 50-200mm that I use. Even when you factor in that the 35-100mm maintains a uniform f2.0 through the entire focal range. With the EC-20 at 70mm wide open, the aperture is f4.0 and at the long end it's still 4.0. The 50-200mm is faster at both ends; starts out at 2.8 at 50mm and tops out at 3.5 at 200mm.

Having said that, I'd still love to have one. Just probably wouldn't use it with the EC-20

Zig
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post

I think Oly dropped the ball when it came to wildlife and birding photogrphaers as they should have really pushed the benefits of the 2x crop factor and introduced at least a couple of HG 300+ F4 or faster primes.

Cheers

Harj

I have to agree. I've been tempted to switch brands just so that I'd have better choices in long lenses but the loss of the 2x doesn't seem worth it, I'd have to get a 500mm just be equal to the 400mm I have now. That's a lot of money for little gain.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote