Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:23 PM   #1

Default 50-200mm + EC-20 hi ISO birds

The weather here has been ugly the last 4 days. I decided enough grumbling had gone on and needed to do something. So, I took out the E-30+50-200mm added the EC-20 and tried to see what I could get in lousy light.

Heres a few shots of birds I took today:
The 1st was taken at: F8, ISO2500, 246mm, straight out of the camera. No PP.
The 2nd was at f9, ISO2500, 182mm, some pp was done
the 3rd was at f9, ISO2500, 200mm, I did sharpen it a little and used ACR5.6 to perform a little noise reduction.
Attached Images

Last edited by zig-123; Apr 18, 2010 at 6:27 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:33 PM   #2

A couple of really extended focal length shots taken at 364mm ISO1600 with the last taken at f10 ISO500 182mm. I wanted to see if I could get some decent DOF shots. This one turned out okay as far as DOF. The
pose is lousy though. One thing it does show is good feather detail and probably the most D-O-F that I can get with my present set up.

One point I wanted to make. None of the 5 images have been cropped. They are as they came out of the camera in size.
Attached Images

Last edited by zig-123; Apr 18, 2010 at 7:29 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:33 PM   #3

Hi Zig

Those are really nice and esp at ISO2500! You might want to try and PP in LR3 beta 2... its got a much improved RAw convertor over ACR 5.x and I think you'd get that we bit more detail out of the files and its as good as the output from OOC jpegs. (

These pics look just great as is but I do know that that there is a nice difference in the IQ that you get from the new ACR that comes with LR 3beta and at the mo it still free to use.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Zig

Those are really nice and esp at ISO2500! You might want to try and PP in LR3 beta 2... its got a much improved RAw convertor over ACR 5.x and I think you'd get that we bit more detail out of the files and its as good as the output from OOC jpegs. (

These pics look just great as is but I do know that that there is a nice difference in the IQ that you get from the new ACR that comes with LR 3beta and at the mo it still free to use.

Cheers

Harj

Hi Harj,

Thanx for the heads up. I'll have to give it a look see as I'm not always satisfied with what I can get out of ACR 5.6. I have to be vigilant with the sharpening and clarity sliders because they can add noise if I'm not careful.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Great detail and you and Greg are showing what the E-30 can do with higher ISOs. Very impressive.

One thing I QUICKLY learned is if your close to the subject with a long lens, you NEED to stop down for DOF reasons.

If you own the 300 f2.8 and you are filling the frame with the subject, wide open shots will be rare. That extra speed is handy for teleconverters and lower light when there is a little longer distance to the subject.

Anyway, You did GOOD!!!

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:36 PM   #6

-- impressive Zig!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:07 PM   #7

I saw these the first time last night, looking at them using my daughter's i-Touch! Typing's too much of a pain using those do-dads so i waited until getting home.

These are really excellent looking images all things considered (or nothing considered!) for the ISO used, combined with the effects of the EC20. You've also really gotten your method down pat using the setup you have there at home. You're churning out one excellent-looking image after another.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Super Moderator

zig these do look great for iso 2500, and cleaned up nicely as well.

way to defy mother nature and pull out a good set all things considered.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:53 AM   #9

agree with the others - these look terrific! well done.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:07 AM   #10

Hi Steven, Greg, John, Dustin,

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. Your kind comments are much appreciated.

The Sun is out today. Hopefully I can take a few shots with a more friendly ISO.

Zig