Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:06 PM   #1

Default A Cold and Rainy Weekend in Lubbock...

The baseball didn't get totally washed out, but it was cold enough I didn't make it past the 5th inning on Saturday.

I did occupy my time on the trip up there with some road-side bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush, using my E30 and either the 9-18 or 70-300 Zuiko..

While in Lubbock visiting my daughter I was introduced to the newest member of her family..

This past weekend Kelsey saw a cat run down and killed by someone in a truck. She stopped to see if it was killed or not and out from behind the tire of another car parked on the side of the street came this little guy. No more than 5-6 weeks old and probably just weened, he hasn't left her side since she picked him up.

Watching the creatures on a World of Warcraft screen move across the LCD...

"Enough Pictures"...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 19, 2010 at 7:59 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:52 PM   #2

Hi Greg,

These are beautiful.......All of them.

You really did a fine job of isolating the flowers that you wanted to focus on.
It turned the photos from good ones to ones with a lot more character and interest.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:15 PM   #3

-- great series Greg, as usual.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:25 PM   #4
Super Moderator

this is a great set greg. i really love shots #2 and #3, really like the flower in the foreground and the nice hillside in #2 and the selective focus of #3. the kitten is just adorable.

and your daughter plays world of warcraft, oh no, not only that, she plays a paladin! her UI is pretty decent though, not too cluttered.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
....and your daughter plays world of warcraft, oh no, not only that, she plays a paladin! her UI is pretty decent though, not too cluttered.
I'll take your word for it! I never graduated beyond Dungeons and Dragons. Going to Lubbock is the only way to get her undivided attention for a conversation. When we talk on the phone, it's painfully obvious our conversation is the secondary action going on.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:52 AM   #6

I especially like the pix of your daughter and the baby cat. FWIW, I think you should burn them to a disk, put it away, and give it to her a few years from now. She'll probably have forgotten them and will really enjoy seeing them again when she and the cat are older.

Is she the one who's going to the Air Force Academy?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:12 PM   #7

Greg, you reminded me of a photo I took in 1999, with my first DSLR - the Oly C-2500L. It was of a dog we still have but she's a lot older and larger now. My wife still gets a grin when she sees this photo. (She'll kill me if she finds out I posted this...)

Ted
Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:09 AM   #8

Very cute shot, Ted! My lips are sealed.

Hmmmm....1999. I was using a Leica M6 outfit and telling people I would never buy a digital camera.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 3:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Hmmmm....1999. I was using a Leica M6 outfit and telling people I would never buy a digital camera.
Hah! My first camera was a used Leica IIIf. But my background was different than yours. In my job I've been a computer guy since the first IBM PC came out - it had 2 floppy drives (no hard drive) but when I started to use it I thought about all the darkroom equipment I had, and all the boxes of slides, negatives, and prints, and realized that digital photography would eventually make my life better. (At that time I figured that I would be shooting film and then scannning and digitizing it.)

Not bragging, just saying I was lucky to be in on the ground floor of PCs. Looking back, the quality of DSLRs advanced far more rapidly than I had ever expected. The Oly C2500L wasn't what I really wanted, but the E20 was (and still is a good DSLR for daylight). I've been happy with DSLRs ever since.

Ted

PS: I still have a Leica "Mini" (body made by Minolta?) with an Elmar 35mm f/3.5 lens, that I can't see myself parting with, but I don't see myself putting film in it and using it. I'm not a film camera collector except for that one.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM.