Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:40 PM   #1

Default Flash recommendation for E-510

Hey all,

Been a while I last posted in the forum. Hope everyone is in good spirits.

Just wanted some advice on a compatible flash unit for E-510. I've investigated on FL=36 and it seems to be a decent enough choice but any other flash unit recommendation within the same price range would be appreciated.

Zeeshan
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:04 PM   #2

zeshane-

In my opinion the Olympus FL36 is a very good choice. I have had very good service from mine for over 4 years. The alternatives are the Metz 48 and the Sigma, but the Sigma is pretty low quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:00 PM   #3

The single biggest complaint I see from users who buy the FL36 is recycle times. If you buy that model, I would highly suggest only using nickel metal hydride batteries and avoiding regular alkaline cells with it to keep recycle speeds up if that's something that is important.

You will also need to keep fairly close to the subject if you plan to utilize a flash modifyer of some sort, or plan to bounce the flash for more flattering lighting effects as it simply won't be a very powerful unit for that type use.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 20, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:29 PM   #4

Hi,

I have a FL-36 Oly flash unit and it works fine for normal photo taking. As Greg mentioned, recycle times are not fast but since I don't take many photos with the flash or require speedy recycle times, it's not been an issue for me.

Also as Greg mentioned, I would suggest Sanyo 2700 Eneloops rechargable batteries rather than normal batteries as they are just not strong enough to last very long and your recycle times will improve.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The single biggest complaint I see from users who buy the FL36 is recycle times. If you buy that model, I would highly suggest only using nickel metal hydride batteries and avoiding regular alkaline cells with it to keep recycle speeds up if that's something that is important.

You will also need to keep fairly close to the subject is you plan to utilize a flash modifyer of some sort, or plan to bounce the flash for more flattering lighting effects as it simply won't be a very powerful unit for that type use.

Right you are, Greg. I have the FL36R and while it's a nice flash, without NiMh batteries, it gets really slow after the first 10 or so shots.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:35 PM   #6

Popular photography liked the new Vivitar for Oly: Reasonable price/performance.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Series_1.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:30 PM   #7

The Vivitar units look hard to beat for the price. I would imagine the wireless option is not supported, but the highest spec of those three models, the DF-383, was only around $120 at B&H the last time I looked.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:51 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the advice on FL36. I think I'll go ahead with it. Will get the NiMH batteries to go along with the flash.

Whats generally the recycle time using NiMH batteries in FL36?
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:14 PM   #9

Zeshane-

My recycle time for the FL-36 averages 4 seconds after 20 flashes with freshly charged eneloops.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 23, 2010 at 5:27 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:10 PM   #10

[QUOTE=You will also need to keep fairly close to the subject if you plan to utilize a flash modifyer of some sort, or plan to bounce the flash for more flattering lighting effects as it simply won't be a very powerful unit for that type use.[/QUOTE]

How close are we talking. I am in the same situation and am trying to decide between the Bower-Vivitar brand, and the FL36R. I think they are relatively the same power, but FL36R can do high speed fill flash or whatever it is called. I am interested in using my flash outdoors for fill flash, and also indoors for portaits. I am assuming the FL36R or a Metz 48 is the way to go.
dugger13 is offline   Reply With Quote