Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:34 AM   #1

Default Teleconverter

Are there any other brands of teleconverters besides the 2 that Olympus offers for the E-620 that will work and if so what are they? Thanks again.
Bayoublaster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoublaster400 View Post
Are there any other brands of teleconverters besides the 2 that Olympus offers for the E-620 that will work and if so what are they? Thanks again.
Those two are pretty much it. Neither Sigma or Panasonic make one and they are the only other companies making 4/3rd lenses.

No doubt, if you wanted to dabble in manual focus lenses fitted using an adaptor, meaning all manual operation, you could work out a way to make something else work, but the Olympus TC's are it in terms of providing full communication/AF operation. Expensive they are, but they are also about as good as it gets.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3

It doesn't matter to me as to whether or not the AF works with the tele or not. I kinda figured that any other manufact. besides Olympus would be manual only anyway. Do you know of any teleconverters even if it would require manual focus? Appreciate the help. Thanks again.
Bayoublaster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:33 PM   #4

Quote:
It doesn't matter to me as to whether or not the AF works with the tele or not. I kinda figured that any other manufact. besides Olympus would be manual only anyway. Do you know of any teleconverters even if it would require manual focus? Appreciate the help. Thanks again.
The first thing to do is decide which mount you plan to use, be it Olympus OM, Nikon F, Pentax K, etc., and buy the adaptor that allows those lenses to be used on an E series body. eBay will be the primary source for buying these adaptors. I have never ventured this way so I can't tell you which sellers provide better or not so good products.

The guy that runs the Cameraquest website sells them. They are not cheap, but the source is a reliable one..

http://cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

As noted in his warning on the 4/3rd's adaptors, make sure you buy an adaptor for 4/3rds, not micro four-thirds, as they are not interchangeable.

Once you have the adaptor it's simply a matter of buying a teleconverter designed to be used for that mount and a lens to use it with. The Nikon F mount and Pentax K mounts probably have the widest selection of both OEM and third-party teleconverters out there, so it makes sense to use one of those two unless you already have a few of something else. You will not be able to use any of your Digital Zuikos with these adaptors. You have to use lenses they were designed to be used with.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:07 AM   #5

If you opt for Pentax K I can recommend the Tokina 7 element 2x. It's one of the best I've ever seen, especially when you consider the cost. The downside is that it seems hard to find.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:02 AM   #6

Quote:
It doesn't only require using manual focus, but also buying manual focus lenses for the teleconverter and adapter you get...you can't use FourThirds lenses with this combination.

Based on what you asked, I wasn't sure if you got that fact.

For instance, if I buy an OM mount teleconverter I need to buy an OM mount adapter so I can attach the teleconverter to my camera, and then have to buy an OM mount lens to use with it.

If you want to do this with your FourThirds mount lens, you need a FourThirds teleconverter with full electronics (not only to do autofocus, but also control aperture), and that means either the EC-14 or EC-20 from Olympus, and no other!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:11 AM   #7

I'm confused. To me, a tele converter is a piece of glass that you attach in front of the lens, widely used by people who have P&S in order to increase the reach. If this is what the OP is asking for, then there are a few on the market. Pana has the TCON17, Sony also has a 1.7x (can't remember the model) and Raynox, are some of the best. There are other cheaper brands but they are paper weights. For those, there is no need for adapters as the converter gets attached to an existing lens. If, however, the OP is referring to a Telephoto lens, then an adapter is needed if the lens is not m4/3.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I'm confused. To me, a tele converter is a piece of glass that you attach in front of the lens.
For P&S that's true. But the OP is asking about DSLR teleconverters, which mount between the lens and the camera body, and become sort of an integral part of the lens. I.e. unlike the P&S front-mount teleconverters, the DSLR ones allow you to zoom the lens.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I'm confused. To me, a tele converter is a piece of glass that you attach in front of the lens, widely used by people who have P&S in order to increase the reach.
Right, "who have P&S"...but this is a dSLR forum, so unless specified we're going to discuss the one which goes between the body and the lens.

Actually dSLR lenses aren't designed to have the weight of a teleconverter on the end of it anyway; today's dSLR lenses uses plastic gears, light duty focus motors, and are snap-together (I've seen lenses where the extended end was bumped and the lens just unsnapped with the force).

On P&S and bridge cameras, the teleconverter usually attaches to a filter tube adapter and not to the lens itself, and the filter tube adapter is screwed into the body so that all the weight of the add-on lens is supported by the body and not by the camera lens.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
this is a dSLR forum, so unless specified we're going to discuss the one which goes between the body and the lens.
Just to be clear here, life is not that simple. Your statement only applies to DSLRs that have removable lenses. My E20 is a DSLR (as was the Oly C2500L before it) but because its lens is not removable, the teleconverters do indeed mount on the front lens element.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote