Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 27, 2010, 9:56 AM   #11

As you've hinted, here's betting the little thing won't be your cup of tea when it comes to those great action shots of your pups we've seen you post in the past, and that seems to be a fairly important type of shooting for you, seeing how good you are at it.

After going through a series of $300-$400 digicams, the thought of spending what an E-PL1 costs, plus the accessory EVF, plus the added cost of other lenses, only to wind up with a camera that has similar limitations is something less than exciting to me right now.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I'll bet if I mounted the big zuiko and tried to level the lens by holding the camera only, the lens mount would break right off the camera
Not to mention, your own wrists!
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:03 PM   #13

Congrats on the little EVIL.

try out the countinous tracking of the epl-1 with the new firmware. It is quite good. It is surprising how much faster it actually made the contrast base AF system of the pens.

The EVF is really worth the money as you are a dslr shoot with a vf, it drove me nuts having to use the lcd to compose when not shooting on a tripod. I love the evf. I can do everything through it. Even review, as it is a higher res then the 2.7 lcd.

Yes the default setting is a bit rough. I like it at low NR for indoor and std for lower light. Off for outdoor with good light.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 27, 2010 at 6:23 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:20 PM   #14

[QUOTE=shoturtle;1086193]Congrats on the little EVIL.

try out the countinous tracking of the epl-1 with the new firmware. It is quite good. It is surprising how much faster it actually made the contrast base AF system of the pens.QUOTE]

Focus tracking won't be the issue. It's when you press the release the rest of the way in and start actually shooting images where the EVF's start letting you down. Shooting a fast-paced series of single or short 2-3 burst images of moving subjects while the frame is almost completely filled and being able to keep your subject properly framed, like the 4 image series I posted here that was captured in 1 second where you can tell from the background they were moving at a good clip..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35156335

That's the type shooting we see Greg doing with his dogs all the time. Using an E-PL1, he'll be done after image #1, no fast image #2, 3 or more because of the EVF.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:27 PM   #15

It is not e30 AF speed, or even T1i speed in continuous focus. But it is close to the e520, canon XS, D5000, and A330. Which was a nice surprise after I updated it to 1.1. It even made the AF faster with the panasonic 45-200mm zoom. Which was pretty good already.