Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:33 AM   #1

Default Things Great and Small

(if there is an ad, i don't endorse it)

Pic follows.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:39 AM   #2

The pen arrived on Friday and I had crappy light so I didn't put it through its paces. I'll delay my impressions until I become a bit more familiar with it.

Here is a quick snapshot of the EPL-1 in the throat of the 300 f2.8 to give an idea of the size extremes.

Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:11 AM   #3

Oh Boy, this should be fun....
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:04 AM   #4

congrats on your new camera Greg, can't wait to see if you can get some great dog action shots with the EPL-1. there is a new auto focus firmware upgrade, just wandering if it will make the camera at all practical for those type of shots you take.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:32 PM   #5

Can't wait to see your shots. Maybe even some video like Dustin.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:47 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Greg! awesome, congrats. I am sure you will enjoy. The black one looks nice too.

look forward to some pics
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
congrats on your new camera Greg, can't wait to see if you can get some great dog action shots with the EPL-1. there is a new auto focus firmware upgrade, just wandering if it will make the camera at all practical for those type of shots you take.
Charles
Its way to early to pass judgement on the EPL-1, but one thing I can say is it will NOT replace my E-3 for the type of shots you are speaking of. My admiration of the E-3 has become stronger with the addition of its little cousin. The old flagship has such a clear advantage in action type photography that they are not even close to the same class. The E-3 stays in the kit, no doubt.

I've shot nothing but DSLRs now for quite a while now. I've got some habits that don't help the use of the EPL-1, such as wanting to bring the camera up to my face all the time (I didn't get the EVF). I also am in the habit of focusing the E-3 with a half press, release, and half press the shutter button a second time just before full shutter release. I've found that doing this nails focus almost without exception, and the second recheck takes almost no time. With the EPL-1, the camera seems to repeat the same focus procedure and there is no advantage given.

A couple quick impressions of the li'l Oly. I needed the pop-up flash for triggering the FL36R and the Metz macro flash. I admire how tiny they made that flash, but I wound not call it robust by any stretch of the imagination. When I have it extended, I'm going to have to be VERY careful. Second, the battery is about half the size of the BLM battery, but the charger is double the size. Why did they do that????

As to image quality, I must withhold judgement. I have been a fan of the E-3's output, and I still am. The light was pretty crappy over the weekend, and the default noise control of the EPL-1 can be a bit brutal. Light was better last night after work, but I somehow set the camera to some compressed jpeg setting and I wasn't too happy with that result either. Human error.

I just have to get out with the camera a bit and play around. It will always take time to get to know how to get the most from a new piece of equipment. The little Panny 20mm f1.7 pancake is showing some promise, but the focus is a bit buzzy. Shutter speed with dim indoor lighting and ISO 1600 are quite useable and the results easily blow a digicam away. There is little doubt I've gained in the low light are over the E-3 kit as well.

Its still early in the game, but if photograpy is my main goal, I'm likely to lug the E-3. I still like that camera!!! The size and weight of the EPL-1 and Panny lens leaves me with no excuse for not having a camera with me almost all the time. The EPL-1 kit will stay in the passenger seat of the car when I'm out and about, and if I'm out walking on a trail with the dogs, it will take no additional effort to pack the camera and a lens or two.

I'll let you know how I get along after I use it a bit more, but the E-3 stays!!!

Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Oh Boy, this should be fun....
Zig
I'll bet if I mounted the big zuiko and tried to level the lens by holding the camera only, the lens mount would break right off the camera

Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Can't wait to see your shots. Maybe even some video like Dustin.
I haven't even thought about the video thing yet. I still want to know how the thing will perform with stills, and due to stupid human tricks (operator error) I still don't know the answer to that.

Yellowstone and video might be fun though.

Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Greg! awesome, congrats. I am sure you will enjoy. The black one looks nice too.

look forward to some pics
Thanks, and I'll see what I can do.