Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:46 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I am thinking seriously about what equipment I want to take to San Francisco in June and have just about talked myself into an E30 outfit consisting of the 9-18, 70-300 Zuikos and sticking the little 14-42 kit lens in there just in case I need to fill the gap. There's a couple of days where we plan to do enough walking that I'm even considering taking the E620 instead, with the 9-18, 40-150 and 25mm pancake for the ultimate lightweight option.

I have enough equipment to fret over without thinking about also having an E-PL1 to ponder about too . I'm sure over the next 5 weeks I'll change my mind at least 5 times, coming up with several additional possible combinations along the way.
I based my E-PL1 comment on the fact that I brought with me, the E-30, 70-300mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm, the EC-20 telecon, EC-14, FL36 and the EX-25. I even brought a Konica Hexanon 50mm 1.7.

Each morning, we got up and got out at 7:30 am (late for me) and spent the day on our feet walking. I took with me, the E-30 and the 12-60mm. An extra battery and CF card. All the rest never came out of the bag.

I found only a couple of small situations where I missed not having the 50-200mm.

I figure, carrying an E-PL1 with a 40-200mm lens and a 14-42 lens in my pocket would be heaven.

zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:15 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I based my E-PL1 comment on the fact that I brought with me, the E-30, 70-300mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm, the EC-20 telecon, EC-14, FL36 and the EX-25. I even brought a Konica Hexanon 50mm 1.7.

Each morning, we got up and got out at 7:30 am (late for me) and spent the day on our feet walking. I took with me, the E-30 and the 12-60mm. An extra battery and CF card. All the rest never came out of the bag.

I found only a couple of small situations where I missed not having the 50-200mm.

I figure, carrying an E-PL1 with a 40-200mm lens and a 14-42 lens in my pocket would be heaven.

zig
Woah....that IS a load!

I've said all along the E620, 9-18, 40-150 and 25 pancake is the new substitute for my megazazoom Panasonic TZ5, which my GF has already asked if she could use, so that will PROBABY be what I take.

I see someone took your comments about the E30 a little more serious than they should have over on DPR in my latest post over there! I scanned that link you posted last night & tried to figure out if that was an April Fool's joke from Wrotniak or not.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:18 PM   #13
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Nice set of images Zig, I like the last 2 very much, esp the 2nd to last.

Since you guys bring up the EPL-1, have I said lately how much I am enjoying this camera. Having something that gives up very little in image quality to my 50D, but in a package that does not bother me 1 bit carrying it all day is heaven. And if I go out and end up just walking around town and never shoot a thing, I have no regrets having the camera with me, as it really doesnt detract from my walk at all. just throwing that out there...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Very nice images, Zig. I particularly like #3, knowing that that exposure balance didn't happen by accident.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:02 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
There's a couple of days where we plan to do enough walking that I'm even considering taking the E620 instead, with the 9-18, 40-150 and 25mm pancake for the ultimate lightweight option.
Greg, isn't the IQ of the 620 close enough to the E30 to make the weight savings worth it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I have enough equipment to fret over without thinking about also having an E-PL1 to ponder about too . I'm sure over the next 5 weeks I'll change my mind at least 5 times, coming up with several additional possible combinations along the way.
Jeeez - none of the rest of us have gone through that process.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:17 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I am thinking seriously about what equipment I want to take to San Francisco in June and have just about talked myself into an E30 outfit consisting of the 9-18, 70-300 Zuikos and sticking the little 14-42 kit lens in there just in case I need to fill the gap.

I have enough equipment to fret over without thinking about also having an E-PL1 to ponder about too.
Greg, here's another thought. Like me, you've often said that you strongly prefer an OVF to live view. Rather than getting an E-PL1, why not spend the money on the PL 14-150? You could take that on the E-620 along with the 9-18 (and maybe the pancake), for a lightweight outfit that can shoot anything with great sharpness. The PL is reasonably fast, and although it's not a macro it's pretty darned close. They quote the minimum focus distance as 16" but I've shot it closer than that.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:58 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Greg, isn't the IQ of the 620 close enough to the E30 to make the weight savings worth it?
Absolutely.

The one feature of the E30 I've grown to really like is the digital level. I don't know if it's the way I hold a camera or what, but I seem to need to straighten a lot of files I shoot with the E620, and with the accessory grip removed, the E30 does not seem that much heavier than the E620.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:39 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Yes the epl-1 with the kit lens and the panny 45-200 lens is all you really need to carry around the city. It makes a great travel kit.

Beware of the taxis. They are dangerous is an understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
NYC is such a great city to visit- providing you

know how to get around or know someone who does,

have lots of money,

and have no fear of the NYC cab drivers or getting on the subway.

We've visited friends the last three Springs and have really spent a lot of time sightseeing- always with the camera slung over the shoulder.

The city is really the perfect place to have an E-LP1. Maybe next year when we go, I might even have one.

Zig
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:43 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post

I see someone took your comments about the E30 a little more serious than they should have over on DPR in my latest post over there! I scanned that link you posted last night & tried to figure out if that was an April Fool's joke from Wrotniak or not.

Yes, that's an old April Fool's article published a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it then and continue to bookmark it for future use.

As for the comments, I've tried to address his concerns.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:47 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Nice set of images Zig, I like the last 2 very much, esp the 2nd to last.

Since you guys bring up the EPL-1, have I said lately how much I am enjoying this camera. Having something that gives up very little in image quality to my 50D, but in a package that does not bother me 1 bit carrying it all day is heaven. And if I go out and end up just walking around town and never shoot a thing, I have no regrets having the camera with me, as it really doesnt detract from my walk at all. just throwing that out there...
Thanks Dustin,

As for the E-PL1, your posts of wonderful photos taken with the E-PL1 certainly indicate how much you're enjoying it. Keep it up, I need to have something to show my wife to convince her our lives are not complete without that little camera

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.