Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:27 AM   #1

Default A trip to NYC

Visited friends in Manhattan over the weekend. Weather Friday and Saturday was perfect for sightseeing with a camera. Here are a few shots with more to be added to a gallery on smugmug;

The first is the main building at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York. If you get a chance, you've got to go and tour the Institute. Beautiful grounds and the lunch at the Medici is as good as any 5 star restaurant in the City.

The other 4 shots are from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.

Link to the NYC Gallery:

http://zig123.smugmug.com/Other/Cent...16484544_a63rL

Zig
Attached Images

Last edited by zig-123; Apr 26, 2010 at 9:51 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:12 AM   #2

Zig, I'm less than an hour from that area. The Roosevelt mansion and Vanderbilt are also over that way and are interesting places to visit.
You're right the food is 5 star and you can get reservations for certain types of cuisine from there none of which is cheap but well worth the experience.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Zig, I'm less than an hour from that area. The Roosevelt mansion and Vanderbilt are also over that way and are interesting places to visit.
You're right the food is 5 star and you can get reservations for certain types of cuisine from there none of which is cheap but well worth the experience.
Eric
Hi Eric,

We did go to the Roosevelt Museum, a short drive North of the CIA.
Roosevelt had a great interest in photography and there were a myriad of photographs and posters to view. It was well worth taking in the tour. I learned a lot. We ran out of time and didn't make it to the Vanderbilt Estate. We'll save that for next year.

Zig
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:32 AM   #4

Sagamore Hill is another nice spot to visit out on the island, teddy Roosevelt home.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Sagamore Hill is another nice spot to visit out on the island, teddy Roosevelt home.
Thanks for the tip. Siighhhh.......so many places to see, so little time.

Zig
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:42 AM   #6

If the NYC area was not so darn expensive to live in, there is some great places to visit and enjoy a day.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If the NYC area was not so darn expensive to live in, there is some great places to visit and enjoy a day.
NYC is such a great city to visit- providing you

know how to get around or know someone who does,

have lots of money,

and have no fear of the NYC cab drivers or getting on the subway.

We've visited friends the last three Springs and have really spent a lot of time sightseeing- always with the camera slung over the shoulder.

The city is really the perfect place to have an E-LP1. Maybe next year when we go, I might even have one.

Zig
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:15 PM   #8

Another in a long list of places I need to get to sooner than later, much like the San Francisco trip my girlfriend and I are now planning for June.

You got some really nice images here, Zig. When I'm home this evening I will explore your Smugmug folder more. They've locked us out of Smugmug here at the office.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Another in a long list of places I need to get to sooner than later, much like the San Francisco trip my girlfriend and I are now planning for June.

You got some really nice images here, Zig. When I'm home this evening I will explore your Smugmug folder more. They've locked us out of Smugmug here at the office.
Hi Greg,

I hear you about the list of places to go. My bucket list is filled with places I'd like to see before it's too late. I'm still working on a rail/sea trip to Alaska.
It's been on my short list for a long time but, something always seems to get in the way.

Zig
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

The city is really the perfect place to have an E-LP1. Maybe next year when we go, I might even have one.

Zig
I am thinking seriously about what equipment I want to take to San Francisco in June and have just about talked myself into an E30 outfit consisting of the 9-18, 70-300 Zuikos and sticking the little 14-42 kit lens in there just in case I need to fill the gap. There's a couple of days where we plan to do enough walking that I'm even considering taking the E620 instead, with the 9-18, 40-150 and 25mm pancake for the ultimate lightweight option.

I have enough equipment to fret over without thinking about also having an E-PL1 to ponder about too . I'm sure over the next 5 weeks I'll change my mind at least 5 times, coming up with several additional possible combinations along the way.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote