Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 27, 2010, 7:08 AM   #1

Default HDR riverfront

Finally got around to trying that Photomatix software for creating HDR photos.

satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2010, 8:19 AM   #2

Wow-I really like this. It is a tad bit bright on my monitor though.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 9:19 AM   #3

Satire-

The HDR is nice and sharp but a tad too bright on my monitor as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 9:56 AM   #4

I had a chance to view the image this morning and it looked very good on my monitor at home.

For the most part though, I have seen few HDR images that I really care for. Certainly not enough to think I want to give it a try myself. It's usually pretty easy to see when an image has been given "The Treatment". HDR is the landscape version of the model images you see where the faces have been given the "Toy Story" character processing where you know no human really has a face that smooth, and why so many like how it looks I'll never know.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:39 AM   #5

OK, here's my take. I'm generally with Greg in that I'm not a huge fan of HDR in many cases. I think it can work, but you need to be less intrusive with it. Here's the general problem in my opinion - SHADOW. I'm not sure when shadow became a negative thing. It's fine to have a little detail in the shadow to help add a bit of dynamic range. But our eyes enjoy the different light levels nature provides - darks, lights and shadow in between. Try toning down the software a bit and leave some of that shadow. Contrast and shadow IMO are beneficial elements of many photographs and shouldn't be completely eliminated. Again, just my personal opinion.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:59 AM   #6

I agree the image lacks shadows, and will attempt to redo it once I learn how to use the software better.

Here is another one I did that is similar but darker, I like it better but I find the hot spots in the clouds distracting.

satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:24 PM   #7

Disregarding the cloud hot spots, that image looks much better on my monitor.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:30 PM   #8

I must be missing something on HDR photography. I've seen several and I think this shot is great but to me the HDR just makes a photo look very sharp. I just don't see the big difference, I guess I'm not looking at it properly ? Is it supposed to create a 3D effect or what ?
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
I must be missing something on HDR photography. I've seen several and I think this shot is great but to me the HDR just makes a photo look very sharp. I just don't see the big difference, I guess I'm not looking at it properly ? Is it supposed to create a 3D effect or what ?
It allows you to combine multiple files to create a scene with a much wider dynamic range than the cameras' sensor can capture in one file. You put your camera on a tripod so it won't move and take 3-5 identical images at varying exposures to capture the full tonal range, then combine them into one image covering all the range of light, in this case, using Photomatix.

Depending on the subject, the effect can be more or less dramatic. Overdone, which most are, they just don't work for me. The way it's discussed in some forums, one could wonder what we all thought we were doing before digital photography.

There's always the option of buying a filter system, a set of soft-edged neutral density filters and doing it like this guy did, in one exposure...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33975467

From here at the office, I cannot see the original picture or the second image posted above since many sites are filtered by the companys' firewall. I saw the first one this morning while at home, which looked nice but didn't "look" to me like the type file that fully benefits from the HDR process, but not knowing what the light really looked like, that's hard for anyone other than the person who took the shot to know.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 27, 2010 at 3:16 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:51 PM   #10

I do agree that much of the displayed HDR is completely unrealistic and that subtle HDR is a rarity. HOWEVER I find some the "overdone" HDR , when used with suitable subjects, emotionally provocative. My emotional reaction is simliar that I have when viewing the great 20th century murialists such as Thomas Hart Benton even though visually they are different. It doesn't attract me as a photographer but it can grab me as a viewer.

On the the technical side I find the OP's original image about the correct brightness on my three different uncalibrated monitors whereas I've found the couple of Ancientritual's St. Louis scenes, which I admire, a bit too dark on my monitors.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote