Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:37 PM   #11

One aspect I really like about the 70-300 related to closeup work is, the lens extends as you focus closer so the magnification at closer distances is higher using the 70-300 vs. the 50-200 that focusses internally. The only time the two technically show exactly the same magnification would be at infinity focus.

If you were to have both lenses (50-200 and 70-300) and focus on a flower up close from the same distance with both lenses set to the same focal length, the image shot with the 70-300 will be bigger because of the focus system used in that lens. For that reason, as long as the light levels permit I prefer doing closeups with the 70-300.

I really enjoy owning both lenses, would hate to have to part with either and absolutely agree with Zig about the size difference. I HAVE carried the original 50-200 on all-day walks. back in 2006 I took an E300 outfit, including the 14-54, 50-200 and 7-14 Zuikos to Paris. My girlfriend and I walked that city for 13 days and I would not want to have to do that again with a similar-sized outfit.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 29, 2010 at 3:57 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
One aspect I really like about the 70-300 related to closeup work is, the lens extends as you focus closer so the magnification is higher using the 70-300 vs. the 50-200 that focusses internally.
That's the same thing I like about the PL 14-150mm. At 150mm it focuses at 16" and is pretty close to being a macro lens.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:35 PM   #13

Alot of people have feelings about the 50-200, and I can't think of many negative opinions. Its highly thought of.

I have both the SWD and non-SWD versions and optically they are so close to identical that the difference is moot. The non SWD is quite quick in small adjustments. It does take some time to rack from minimum to infinity focus, but pre-focusing on something close to where you expect a photo can eliminate the time.

Don't forget you get more than a 200mm lens. Just short of 100mm, the lens is biting sharp. It reminds me of the output of the 50 macro at that focal length. The 4x range makes it VERY versatile. I've used it with the EC-14 alot and it is excellent, even at full extention.

Zig and Greg have put out alot on very impressive pics with the EC-20. I had reservations before that, but I'm a believer now. 400mm on a 2x crop is not easy, but they prove it can be done and the lens is up to the task.

Here's a wren with the full 283mm and f5.6.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Eric,

Currently, KEH.com has two 50-200mm lenses available. the Non-SWD version for 616.00 and the SWD for 919.

Greg, has done a great job of answering your question on the 50-200mm.
So, the only points I'll add are;

FWIW, I have the 50-200mm ED version and I've never felt lagging in any way.
I use it with both the EC-14 and the EC-20. The EC-14/50-200mm combo appears to be more responsive to me. Although, I do admit that the EC-20 in combination with the 50-200mm, when the lighting is there, is hard to beat.

Zig
The one listed for $616 is w/o tripod mount. I was liking the look of the price but have no idea if the mount is available and/or easy to install.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
The one listed for $616 is w/o tripod mount. I was liking the look of the price but have no idea if the mount is available and/or easy to install.

John
Hi John,
Diid a quick search and found the tripod collar available at the Oly Emporium.
Boy they don't give anything away. It's available for 90 dollars.
https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...u=VJ480201-460

I would think that it could be purchased elsewhere for less. One note of caution. The tripod collars for the non-SWD and SWD versions are NOT interchangeable.

Also, by loosening the nut on the collar, it will slide off the lens quite easily.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post

John
It is available, just as a replacement hood or case that was sold with the lens is, direct from Olympus..

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...326&submit1=Go

Unless you really feel like you'll need the tripod mount, it's not THAT big a deal. I have used mine a couple of times with the tripod mount, but it's never on the lens unless I HAVE to have it, and it mounts on and off the lens very, very easily in the case of both versions.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:49 PM   #17

Thanks for the info Greg and Zig. Since I shoot mostly free hand it's not a biggie, but it is nice to know that it's an easy option. Now if only I knew I'd use it enough to justify the cost.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 7:34 AM   #18

....I've had my 50-200 for 4 years and actually mounted the lens to a monopod for one series over a few weekends, that was to cover my grandsons T-ball games where all shots were done while sitting on the ground for a proper perspective.

Unless you regularly use a xxxx-pod support you likely will never miss it. The lens works very well off-hand..
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote