Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:24 PM   #1

Default Decided on Olympus, unsure about bundle

Hello everyone. I'm usually lurking around this forum but I've finally jumped in and joined everyone else. For my first DSLR, I've decided to go with Olympus mainly because of in-body stabilization and size. I've previously owned the Lumix FZ30, which I mainly use for stage performances (acts, dances, etc...) and low light photography (yes, the two situations that P&S and bridges fail on). I'm finally feeling the effects of having a max ISO at 400, which I rarely use, and just thinking about how a DSLR's 400 ISO can look just as good as ISO 80 on mine makes me tingle.

I've debated the usual e520 vs e620, but finally settled on the e600 when I saw that Adorama has the twin lens kit refurb for around $490, just about the same price as the e520. Then I saw one with just the 14-45mm lens for $370 (also a refurb). So finally here's my question: I'm definitely getting the 50mm f/1.8 OM lens so I will be picking up the OM adapter. Should I go for Adorama's dual kit lens, or pick up the cheaper single lens kit and get an OM/3rd party legacy zoom lens?
mambastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambastik View Post
Hello everyone. I'm usually lurking around this forum but I've finally jumped in and joined everyone else.

I've debated the usual e520 vs e620, but finally settled on the e600 when I saw that Adorama has the twin lens kit refurb for around $490, just about the same price as the e520. Then I saw one with just the 14-45mm lens for $370 (also a refurb). So finally here's my question: I'm definitely getting the 50mm f/1.8 OM lens so I will be picking up the OM adapter. Should I go for Adorama's dual kit lens, or pick up the cheaper single lens kit and get an OM/3rd party legacy zoom lens?
Hi,

Ultimately, this is your decision to make. But, I would recommend you buy the 2 kit lens starting out. This will give you a very wide focal range. AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, the camera and lens combination will be fully compatible. Meaning, you can put it in auto mode, if you like and the camera will focus the lens properly.

The E-600 as all the E-4XX, E-5XX, dslrs has a relatively small viewfinder making it not the easiest body to manually focus a legacy lens.

Once you're comfortable with the ins and outs of the camera, you can always pick up a legacy lens and broaden your horizons.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 5:56 PM   #3

When you use your FZ30, do you find yourself having to zoom much beyond the 90-100mm setting very often? If so, the dual lens kit is an excellent value. If you don't buy the two lens kit and decide later you really want or need the 40-150, it's not that expensive, but the total cost you will be out would be more than if you just bought it now.

I would base it on your use of your current camera. If you use the long end of the FZ30 a lot, you will find the 14-42/45 a little limiting.

the problem I have with using OM or third-party legacy zooms is, they are fairly slow and the screens on the smaller Olympus DSLR's are not the best for manual focussing. Sure, live view can be used, which allows for zooming in to aid in focussing, but live view also sucks those batteries dry a lot faster.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:20 PM   #4

The question about the weather to get the longer zoom package comes down to what you shoot. If you do not use zooms much, they you can hold off. But if you feel that 42mm(84mm in 35eq) will be to short for what you need then have the 150mm(300mm in 35eq) may come in handy. But if you a a big zoom user. You may want to for go the 40-150mm and get the 70-300mm later down there line. Know more of what you shoot would be helpful in this discussion.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:59 PM   #5
Super Moderator

For that price, I can see very little reason not to get the 2 lens kit from Adorama.

And really, coming from an FZ to DSLR, I don't believe you are going to be as comfortable with the old legacy glass as you think you will. Getting proper focus without a split screen on a tiny dslr viewfinder, especially at f1.4 is no easy task.

i think you would be better off saving up for the Sigma 50 1.4 for the AF.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:00 PM   #6

Or the sigma 30mm 1.4 if you something closer to eye view.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:01 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Or the sigma 30mm 1.4 if you something closer to eye view.
yea, another good choice, and much smaller n lighter too
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:10 PM   #8

The question is, what focal range do you use on your current camera? Do you like going to the long end of the lens, or do you shoot only at the wide end? Do you use manual focus ever on the FZ30, or do you always use auto focus?

For starters (who don't want to get into more expensive glass) I always recommend the dual lens kit, it's a bargain rather than buying the 40-150 afterwards.

As for primes, unless you have a need to be at a specific focal length I don't recommend them (for the new user). I grew up on primes, but when I got my first zoom lens (almost 30 years ago) I never looked back...OK, I do have a few OM primes in my collection but I rarely use them...I also have a 60-300mm OM zoom since I could get it cheaper than the FourThirds 70-300mm lens.

If you're shooting a lot at one focal length, want a lens that lets in more light, or is more compact, then consider getting a prime.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:47 PM   #9

Cameta has a much better deal on the E-600 and gives a 1 year guarantee, rather than the 90 day guarantee from Adorama.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:08 PM   #10

Hi mambastik:

As a user of both digital and legacy OM lens, IMHO definitely get the two lens digital kit, no matter which camera body. You wont regret it.

Steven R
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote