Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 4, 2010, 4:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Zig !

I really like this HDr .. esp as a first attempt !

You got me thinking about HDR and I was wondering if instead of taking 5 separate shots of a scene, would a single RAW file - exported as 5 exposed over and under individual files work the same way ?

Cheers

Harj
Hi Harj,

Dustin and Greg have provided you with better insight than I probably can.
But I will say that after messing around with Photomatix Light using a few different series of 5 shots each exp bkt @ 1/3, I tried taking some single images that I then saved 5 copies with each having the exp. value changed manually in ACR 5.6. I took those images and processed them through Photomatix Light and the results weren't nearly as dramatic.

My suggestion is that if this is of interest to you, you can download a trial version for free from photomatix. If nothing else, it's fun to try a different medium.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 4:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
very nice layered look to this shot. tones look good. i usually don't go quite as far on the HDR, but for this shot I think it actually looks quite pleasing and befits the simple subject matter.
Hi Dustin,

Thanx for the positive reinforcement. I need to look and study up on what other folks are doing in the HDR forum at Steve's
Zig
Old May 4, 2010, 4:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Nicely done, Zig-

It seems to have a lot of mood to it and nice coloring.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

Thanks Much appreciated

Zig
Old May 4, 2010, 2:54 PM   #14

Hi Zig,

Very impressive for the 1st try on HDR. I have used Photomatix for almost a year now but still on free trial version. I just can't decided whether to drop that $99 or not. Do you think it worth a large one in your opinion?

Thanks.
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 3:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobt View Post
Hi Zig,

Very impressive for the 1st try on HDR. I have used Photomatix for almost a year now but still on free trial version. I just can't decided whether to drop that $99 or not. Do you think it worth a large one in your opinion?

Thanks.
Hi Jacob,

For me it wasn't so I downloaded the Photomatix Light version 1.01. It was 40bucks as opposed to the $100.

I had downloaded both light and the Pro trial versions about a year ago too, and had toyed with both of them. The concept was interesting but I'm not sure that I'm ever going to use it enough to go for the full version. The Light version has enough for me to play with and I can always upgrade to the Pro version at a point in the next 12months.

Zig
Old May 5, 2010, 1:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Harj,

Dustin and Greg have provided you with better insight than I probably can.
But I will say that after messing around with Photomatix Light using a few different series of 5 shots each exp bkt @ 1/3, I tried taking some single images that I then saved 5 copies with each having the exp. value changed manually in ACR 5.6. I took those images and processed them through Photomatix Light and the results weren't nearly as dramatic.

My suggestion is that if this is of interest to you, you can download a trial version for free from photomatix. If nothing else, it's fun to try a different medium.

Zig
I have the trial version and haven't seen too much to be excited about using a single image saved at different exposures. I can't say why it doesn't work but other than producing minor tweaks it doesn't. Of the two pictures i tried that way i liked the original better in both cases.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 1:29 PM   #17

Default I'm tooting my own horn.

I don't generally toot my own horn, but, well in this case I'm going to......

I really liked the way this scene came out so, I submitted it to a local newspapers website. The photo was accepted and posted on their website for the last week or so.

Today, a lady called and asked to buy a copy of it. She just came by and picked the print up.

I'm not about to get rich selling my photographs as I do this for my own pleasure. But, it sure does feel good to know that others enjoy your work.

Zig
Old May 11, 2010, 2:22 PM   #18

Excellent! there's no better recognition than that. Congrats on the sale.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 3:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I'm not about to get rich selling my photographs as I do this for my own pleasure. But, it sure does feel good to know that others enjoy your work.

Zig
I'll bet it does! Congratulations! But I don't understand why you retired folks don't think you can work on selling your photos. Your bird photos are excellent - are you sure you can't sell them to bird magazines? Last time I looked there are a gazillion of them (although [political statement] most of them are magazines for pet birds, which is a travesty - locking a flock animal in a cage is the same as locking a human in a cage...).

Ted

PS: Sorry for the political comment...
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 4:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I'll bet it does! Congratulations! But I don't understand why you retired folks don't think you can work on selling your photos. Your bird photos are excellent - are you sure you can't sell them to bird magazines? Last time I looked there are a gazillion of them (although [political statement] most of them are magazines for pet birds, which is a travesty - locking a flock animal in a cage is the same as locking a human in a cage...).

Ted

PS: Sorry for the political comment...

Hi Ted,

Thanks...

Actually, I have been working on developing a series of note cards to supply to gift shops in the local area. God knows we've got enough of them. I started to print, package and have shown them to a couple of gift shops.
I've sold a bunch but to friends mostly. It's not quite the same as having some one you don't know, call and express interest.

P.S. no problems with political commentary.

Zig