Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 2, 2010, 8:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default Here's Coming Right at You..

E30 and 50-200 SWD, some with the Ec20, some without..





Serious thoughts before being called..







and then, some serious riding, on a very contrasty day..












Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2010, 8:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

WOW, Greg! Where'd you shoot these?! These are outstanding!!
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 8:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Hi Greg,

I was thinking of you as I was watching the Derby yesterday. I wondered how cool it would be to have you take some shots of Calvin Borel and the rest of the field as they headed towards the finish line.

And uh, oh yes, these are another outstanding set of images!
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 8:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
TekiusFanatikus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 385
Default

Very crisp, sharp pictures there! This is more the 50-200 at work than the E30 right? I have the E-620, which is why I ask.

May I ask, what aperture was used in these pics? Is there an easy way to have this info available? Firefox plugin? Right-click and ??
__________________
________________________
AKA Dan
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 9:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Very crisp, sharp pictures there! This is more the 50-200 at work than the E30 right? I have the E-620, which is why I ask.

May I ask, what aperture was used in these pics? Is there an easy way to have this info available? Firefox plugin? Right-click and ??
Probably the easiest thing to do is left-click once on an image. It's a hyperlink and will open up a separate window of the image on my website. From there if you just place your curser over the image and click on the "Photo info" option, the EXIF data will open.

The first two images where the horses are coming right at you were shot with the 50-200 and the EC20 converter at f8. Image #3 was also shot with the 50-200 plus the EC20 at f8. The 4th image was shot at 200mm without the EC20 at f4.

Where I used the EC20, the maximum aperture is f7 at maximum zoom and I used it stopped down 1/3 stop to f8 to try and sharpen it up a little more. When I used the lens by itself, I kept it near wide open at f3.5-4 to both keep shutter speeds high and try to create a little more depth in the image.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 9:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
WOW, Greg! Where'd you shoot these?! These are outstanding!!
Thanks, Gary. They were shot at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas, which is around a 15 minute drive west of Dallas
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 9:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

I was thinking of you as I was watching the Derby yesterday. I wondered how cool it would be to have you take some shots of Calvin Borel and the rest of the field as they headed towards the finish line.

And uh, oh yes, these are another outstanding set of images!
Zig
Thanks, Zig. I watched, wondering what it would take to both get there AND find a spot alongside the rails....anywhere around that track.

That guy from Houston who made the $100,000 bet and won needs to work on that hair piece before he does anything else with his $900,000!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 2, 2010 at 9:47 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Member
 
jacobt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 92
Default

Hi Greg,

Very impressive shots. I have always enjoyed the pics you posted and they seemed to get better and better these days. You really need to post more I may switch to taking JPEG after seeing all your in-camera JPEG's.

Could you point out the pics with EC20 and without? I'm in the market for EC20 converter, I really like to see the IQ differences when connecting to 50-200mm. Thanks.
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobt View Post
Hi Greg,

Very impressive shots. I have always enjoyed the pics you posted and they seemed to get better and better these days. You really need to post more I may switch to taking JPEG after seeing all your in-camera JPEG's.

Could you point out the pics with EC20 and without? I'm in the market for EC20 converter, I really like to see the IQ differences when connecting to 50-200mm. Thanks.
If you view the images on my website and check the "photo info" option, in almost every case the ones shot at f8 or f9 were taken with the EC20 attached. Ones shot at f3.5 or f4 would have been taken without the EC20 attached since that aperture is not available when using the EC20.

Tonight I will make a notation below each image on the page if the EC20 was used. I will need to verify in some cases myself using the Olympus Studio program if the TC was mounted and I didn't use it at maximum zoom.

If you view the photo info window, you'll note some images just show a single focal length while others show both the actual focal length and the "35mm equivalent". I have figured out the reason why not all images are shown in the same manner and it has to do with whether or not I did any post processing.

Files I just uploaded straight out of the camera show up with just the single focal length. In the case of these images, the only "post processing' I did was to straighten ones where I was not paying enough attention as I was shooting and they were a little crooked. I did the straightening in Adobe Camera RAW and, I guess, something about the EXIF is adjusted when running a file through ACR that generates the "35mm equivalent" focal length in addition to the actual focal length.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Member
 
jacobt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
If you view the images on my website and check the "photo info" option, in almost every case the ones shot at f8 or f9 were taken with the EC20 attached. Ones shot at f3.5 or f4 would have been taken without the EC20 attached since that aperture is not available when using the EC20.

Tonight I will make a notation below each image on the page if the EC20 was used. I will need to verify in some cases myself using the Olympus Studio program if the TC was mounted and I didn't use it at maximum zoom.

If you view the photo info window, you'll note some images just show a single focal length while others show both the actual focal length and the "35mm equivalent". I have figured out the reason why not all images are shown in the same manner and it has to do with whether or not I did any post processing.

Files I just uploaded straight out of the camera show up with just the single focal length. In the case of these images, the only "post processing' I did was to straighten ones where I was not paying enough attention as I was shooting and they were a little crooked. I did the straightening in Adobe Camera RAW and, I guess, something about the EXIF is adjusted when running a file through ACR that generates the "35mm equivalent" focal length in addition to the actual focal length.
Thanks Greg, very helpful information. Looks like I will spend more time on your Smugmug web site from now on.
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:06 PM.