Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 4, 2010, 9:32 AM   #1

Default Last evening photo op

Yesterday my girlfriend had to work late, so I used the opportunity to go up the mountain to my favorite local state park (Ohiopyle). Thought I would post a few sample images. The first 3 are from a high mountain meadow, with the town of Ohiopyle seen in the valley. The last 2 are from a different peak called Sugarloaf. The last image I used my metz 48 flash in modeling mode hand triggering it several times during a 1 min. exposure painting the rock & trees to the left. I used e-300 with sigma 24mm/1.8 macro, & Oly 50-200 swd, & e-420 with 9-18mm for the shots. All images processed in Olympus
Master. Not sure how good they will look as I am not Used to Sharpening for the web yet.
Charles
Attached Images

cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2010, 3:23 PM   #2

Boy Charles,

You live in God's country. In my first life, when I actually had to work I spent a fair amount of time in PA. Mostly in Bloomsburg and Harrisburg. When I saw your post, I couldn't remember ever hearing of Ohiopyle so, I googled it and found it's south of Pittsburg.

Beautiful rolling hills. Bet they're not as friendly in February.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 4:03 PM   #3

Zig, thanks for looking, the park is truly a work of god, it is about 20,000 acres the first pics from the meadow are about center in the park & everything seen in the pictures is well within the boundary of the park, even the small town is part of it.The park is about a 15 min. drive up the mountain from my house with good road conditions. It gets pretty busy in the summer due to the whitewater activities, draws people from all over the globe. Also flanked on the north & south side of the park are 2 of Frank Loyd Wrights most famous houses. On the south edge Kentuck Knob, presently owned by a Baron in Europe somewhere. On the North side is his very famous Falling Water house, currently owned by the Western Pa. Conservatory. The neatest thing about Falling Water is how the mountain stream runs right through the house. Unfortunately both places are copyrighted, so getting permission to photograph them is very difficult & expensive. As for winter it does get very unfriendly, but that does not stop me, I have spent many winter hikes seemingly & probably(according to my worrisome girlfriend) alone in the park.
Charles
Old May 4, 2010, 4:10 PM   #4

What an awesome place to live near. The viewpoints from where you took these are incredible.

Another place to put on the need-to-visit list. Thanks for sharing.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 5:09 PM   #5

My favorite has to be the freight train winding along the river beside that sleepy village. Shades of old time Americana!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 7:24 PM   #6

Thanks Greg, yes it is an awesome area there is a lot of scenery & also it is a very historic area from the early years of the United States. Unfortunately our county is the poorest in Pa. the county government is so corrupt that good business's that have looked to set up shop here get chased away by our fist fighting county commissioners.
Charles
Old May 4, 2010, 7:29 PM   #7

Steve, this area & south into West Virginia contain lots of fading fast Classic Americana. I could here the train coming up the river for 10min. before it appeared.
Charles
Old May 4, 2010, 7:47 PM   #8

Great shots, most particularly the last two!