Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 5, 2010, 9:17 PM   #1

Default Thinking of getting a Velbon Sherpa...

200R or 435R...

I like that it could support my camera with telephoto, something my current cheapo tripod can't do. It's also flexible (435R) and can be 20 cm from the ground. It would be light and easy to store.

I'm leaning towards the 435R...

Just wondering if there would be competing products that would be of the same value and would offer a greater bang for the buck?
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2010, 12:38 AM   #2

Cullmann magnasite 519 or 525, or any of the slik pro series tripods, I had the slik 700, now the cullmann 519.
Old May 6, 2010, 6:56 AM   #3

[QUOTE=TekiusFanatikus;1089991]I'm leaning towards the 435R...
QUOTE]

The 435R gets close to the ground by eliminating the adjustable center column. So getting the camera to your eye height when standing up means that you have to adjust 3 legs to exactly the right length. I suppose you can get used to that but do be aware that you give up some convenience. OTOH it is nice to have a tripod that gets down low.

I'm happy with my Slik Pro 700 but Velbon makes good products - I love my Velbon monopod.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 8:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
I'm leaning towards the 435R...
So getting the camera to your eye height when standing up means that you have to adjust 3 legs to exactly the right length. I suppose you can get used to that but do be aware that you give up some convenience. OTOH it is nice to have a tripod that gets down low.
I know, I'm thinking going flexible would open more doors for me to take pictures. I could get used to the legs I think.

Wow, the Cullman 519 is similar to the Velcom 435 but is priced cheaper? Did I read that correctly?

Last edited by TekiusFanatikus; May 6, 2010 at 9:02 PM.
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 8:56 PM   #5

The cullmann comes with a short tube, so you can swap out the longer tube and get low, and you still can to some height adjustments.
Old May 7, 2010, 7:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The cullmann comes with a short tube, so you can swap out the longer tube and get low, and you still can do some height adjustments.
I looked it up at B&H and it sure is inexpensive and the additional short column should be a useful addition. I had to laugh, though, when the product description mentions (as many tripod descriptions do) that you can get a camera low to the ground by reversing the center column. If you believe that's a good idea, here's an exercise: go out and get 10 good photos while holding your camera upside down and using the controls that way. That wasn't a good idea even back in the days of film cameras.

Ted
Old May 7, 2010, 7:48 AM   #7

Quote:
The cullmann comes with a short tube, so you can swap out the longer tube and get low, and you still can to some height adjustments.
It turns out Slik makes one for the 700 - I didn't know they did that. Thanks for pointing that out!

Ted
Old May 7, 2010, 11:58 AM   #8

Yes, that was one of the reasons I went with the cullmann over the slik. I had the slik pro 700. But it did not get as low when I set it to a grounder mode but now the cullmann with the short tube. You can have the camera in the lowest possible position that the tripod can get to. And it was 85 dollars at adorama at the time.
Old May 7, 2010, 6:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, that was one of the reasons I went with the cullmann over the slik. I had the slik pro 700. But it did not get as low when I set it to a grounder mode but now the cullmann with the short tube.
So you got the cullman later, before Slik released the short tube?

Ted
Old May 7, 2010, 6:37 PM   #10

I had the slik, took allot of abuse. Went to the store looked at both, and actually like the slightly smaller size of the 519 over getting another pro 700 with the tube. Both are really good tripods. The 525 had a monopole feature. It was just to much tripod for my taste.