Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 9, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1

Default How about 18-180?

I have been watching all lenses discussion here but no one ever talked about the Oly 18-180mm lens. It was the 1st lens I bought after the kit lenses. I know the IQ is not that good, but the zoom range makes it a perfect carry-all-around lens. Since I have the 12-60 for all around now so I don't even touch the lens for quite a while.

Anyone here uses the 18-180mm with good pics?
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2010, 8:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobt View Post
I have been watching all lenses discussion here but no one ever talked about the Oly 18-180mm lens. It was the 1st lens I bought after the kit lenses. I know the IQ is not that good, but the zoom range makes it a perfect carry-all-around lens. Since I have the 12-60 for all around now so I don't even touch the lens for quite a while.

Anyone here uses the 18-180mm with good pics?
I have actually seen some quite excellent images posted over on the Olympus SLR forum where the 18-180 was used. There's a post regarding this lens on an irregular basis over there, and there's always several who reply with good things to say about it. A guy who goes by the handle of Canadian Club on the Olympus forum at DPReview seems to use that lens almost exclusively with his E620.

The issue many have, and the main reason why I have never considered one, is the f6.3 speed at 180mm. The reality is, it's not really that much slower than the 40-150, and I have read it is a better lens than the kit lens.

The other problem I considered in looking at this lens was, what lens do you use with it? At 18mm, it's not nearly as wide as I would want a normal lens to be. Today there's a perfect mate to go with it in the 9-18 Zuiko, but the 18-180 has been available for quite a while prior to the 9-18 being around and nothing else before would have worked as well.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote