Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 9, 2010, 7:51 PM   #1

Default How do you display your photos?

Hey guys, I know we all have many hundreds (no, thousands) of shots stored on our computers, but how do you display your favorite shots around the house? You can't print every one of them. (Not enough space and too much money!)

I have a couple of 8" digital frames, but my wife insisted that they displace family shots and relatives, etc., so that's not the answer. Besides, the little screens do not really have much of an impact when showing your shots.
Let me share a solution that works for me. For Christmas I got a 15 inch SunPak digital photo frame from Computer Associates. They usually have it on sale for $99. (I got mine for $89 during the Christmas sales.) I was a little concerned about the quality for such a low price, but the 15 inch screen is great, and the color and resolution are excellent. Your photos show so much better on this frame than on the typical 7 or 8 inch frames that dominate the market.

I loaded an 8MP SD card with hundreds of my favorite shots, put it in the frame, and set it up in my den. You can adjust the time for each from as little as 1 second. I have mine set on 1 minute each. As far as reliability, it has been running non-stop since Christmas, and I see no change in the screen resolution or brightness. (I never cut it off, it makes a great night light if I decide to go to the kitchen, LOL!) I have not found anything to remotely touch it for the price. (Yes, my photos look awesome when I run them thru my big screen Sharp Aquos HD TV, but for some reason the wife wants to use it to watch television programs instead. Go figure!

Anyway, I think it would be perfect for Zig and his bird shots, Greg and his flowers and horses, Gary and his roses, northern Greg and his dogs and macros, etc. So if you get a chance, drop by your local Computer Associates store and check it out. (They may also sell it on line, I forgot to check.)

Last edited by Steven R; May 9, 2010 at 7:54 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2010, 8:01 PM   #2

Hey Steven,

Sounds like you've worked out a very good solution to what plagues all of us.
Thanks for the heads up-I'll be sure to look into how this might work for me.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 8:43 PM   #3

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the head's up with this.

I've thought about it a few times, but the puter is my main method. I do some prints in a photobook, but it is rare to open that up. Still have some OM photos from about a million years ago. There is still something to be said for prints.

Last year I did a calander with some of my favorite dog pics. Only had a couple copies created, one to the kennel I got my dogs from and one on my wall. I caught quite alot of guff for not making more from the spaniel crowd, but the cash outlay would be prohibitive is printed and not sold. No guts, I guess.

The digital frame might find its way to my office. I've thought about it a few times. Smug is banned by our network so it would provide visual results for those that know I enjoy some areas of photography. I'll just have to make that move.

Thanks again,

Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 8:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the alert! I'm heading over to CA online to see if they have it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 9:56 AM   #5

That's a really good price on a 15 inch digital frame. I own one of the smaller ones. I believe I paid a lot more than $89 for it to, and have had it on my desk at the office with images rotating through it for both me and co-workers to see.

It's been a while since I really shopped digital frames because of what I considered prohibitive costs...then I think about one 30+ inch print I took of the Eiffel Tower hanging in my office that I paid Hobby Lobby $300 to frame and maybe I should start looking again!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 3:22 PM   #6

I have 2,683 16 by 20 pictures on my walls : ) 2,684 if you count the 2 by 3 of Garys rose.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 3:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
I have 2,683 16 by 20 pictures on my walls : ) 2,684 if you count the 2 by 3 of Garys rose.
Eric

Which one? I'm honored.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote