Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 10, 2010, 6:09 PM   #1

Default DxO Optics for UWA lenses

Many of you know about using DxO for correcting distortion in photos from UWA lenses (like the ZD 9-18mm) but some of you may not so I figured I'd post this.

I've been trying to shoot the front of my house, which faces north so never gets sunlight and I found that at sunrise it does get a bit of sunlight now. But my point is that from the street, the front of the house is 1 storey higher so when you shoot it with a UWA lens it's pretty distorted (as are most objects when a UWA lens is tilted up from horizontal). I'm not expecting that anyone but me particularly cares about this subject, but you might find it interesting to know what DxO can do. (I was mainly doing this shot to see how to use DxO.)

Besides correcting UWA distortion it has a myriad of PP options which I'm still learning, but out of the box it does do a good job on UWA distortion correction.

The first shot below is the jpeg out of the E-3, and the second is corrected in DxO (mostly with the default DxO PP corrections, some initial tweaking by me).

Ted
Attached Images

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 10, 2010 at 6:16 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2010, 9:14 PM   #2

that's cool!

How much does it cost??
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 5:52 AM   #3

Hi Ted,

That software looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up and posting the results.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 6:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
that's cool!

How much does it cost??
They test mainstream lenses and create presets for them. So it's not cheap - $200. That includes presets and it really is a PP application - more than just UWA keystone distortion correction. It just has the reputation of being better at that than anyone else.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 11, 2010 at 6:55 AM.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:05 AM   #5

Looks like a combination of PTLens and a program I have used in the past to make large format-type perspective corrections called Shift-N. I've just never liked all the real estate you lose from the sides in making these type corrections.

this was a great subject to show the capabilities of the program, and I love your home. The landscape and those trees all around are outstanding. I wish those were hanging over my home in the summer when it's close to 100 degrees or more almost every day for 3+ months.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Looks like a combination of PTLens and a program I have used in the past to make large format-type perspective corrections called Shift-N. I've just never liked all the real estate you lose from the sides in making these type corrections.
Maybe. You do lose some of the upper keystone but to me it's just a better photo. I think DxO is generally a very good PP system but not nearly as straightforward to use as the sliders in ACR. It's one of those software apps that makes more sense to the programmers than to the users. The keystone correction is easy, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
This was a great subject to show the capabilities of the program, and I love your home. The landscape and those trees all around are outstanding. I wish those were hanging over my home in the summer when it's close to 100 degrees or more almost every day for 3+ months.
Thanks, Greg.

I do think the trees will reduce the air conditioning load - it's in the 90's here for most of the summer. At least that contribution from them will offset the enormous amount of leaves they deposit in the yard in the fall. They really are beautiful, though.

They do block most of the night sky but I can't use a telescope here anyway. My neighbors don't seem to like the night, judging by how much lighting they have on all night. I actually don't need a flashlight to walk around the yard...

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM.