Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 13, 2010, 1:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ken,

You really should like the E-500 as it is a really good camera. It employs the same Kodak (8300) CCD sensor that the E-300 utilized while the E-1 utilized an earlier but similar version (5100) CCD sensor. The colors rendered by the E-500 should be on par with the output of the E-1.

The big advantages of the E-1 are;
significantly larger, brighter optical viewfinder. So, if you're using legacy lenses, it would be a significant advantage.
The weatherproofing is another big plus.
The drawbacks to both, in my mind, is the lack of image stabilization. For me, that's a deal breaker. It was the major reason, I upgraded from the E-500 to the E-510.

Unless, you're using a lot of legacy lenses, I really don't think you'll derive a major benefit.

Zig
Gotta disagree with you here Zig. Having used the E-1 a bit now I can say it's miles ahead of the 500. Shooting with it is a pure joy, no shutter lag, better balance and layout and a view finder that you can actually see thru. Works 100x better with the Sigma as well, I tried an experiment and where the 500 couldn't focus on the side of a wooden bird feeder from 25' away the E-1 did so in a flash. Not that i really need the Sigma with it, I shot almost nothing but legacy today and loved it. My god it's nice to watch something snap into focus instead of just hoping it's right. I've also found the images to need much less PP from the E-1 than they did with the 500 but that could just be a case of the style I'm after.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 1:45 AM   #12

I should add that I'm totally sold on the battery holder/grip as well. I took over 100 pics vertically today and it was so comfortable I never even thought about the orientation, though i did snap a few oops pics by pressing the shutter on the grip while picking up the camera.

John
Old May 13, 2010, 5:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Gotta disagree with you here Zig. Having used the E-1 a bit now I can say it's miles ahead of the 500. Shooting with it is a pure joy, no shutter lag, better balance and layout and a view finder that you can actually see thru. Works 100x better with the Sigma as well, I tried an experiment and where the 500 couldn't focus on the side of a wooden bird feeder from 25' away the E-1 did so in a flash. Not that i really need the Sigma with it, I shot almost nothing but legacy today and loved it. My god it's nice to watch something snap into focus instead of just hoping it's right. I've also found the images to need much less PP from the E-1 than they did with the 500 but that could just be a case of the style I'm after.

John
Hi John,

I'm really happy that your pleased with the E-1. And I'll be happy to say that I'm wrong. But, I did say that the 2 major benefits of the E-1 were the larger Optical viewfinder and thus it's ability to focus a legacy lens. The other feature, which is a major feature, is the weatherproofing. I've always wanted to have a weatherproof camera as I take my camera on a boat when I'm fishing. The big drawback, again for me, maybe not for a lot of people is the lack of Image Stabilization. For normal people this shouldn't be a deal breaker. For me, it is.
There is no denying that the E-500 viewfinder is small. So are all the viewfinders in the E4xx and E5xx bodies. The E-1 has a marvelous viewfinder. But, if your using ZD Zuiko lenses, and unless you're using manual focus a lot, then the camera is doing the focusing for you and that mitigates the issue of smaller viewfinders.

Those were the reasons for my response to Ken.

Actually, truth be told, the thing that bothered me most about the viewfinder of the E-510 (same as E-500)
was that I couldn't see the information displayed on the right side of the finder.

Again happy to know that you're loving the E-1

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 5:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Thanks for that. I'd forgotten or maybe I didn't realize that the E1 didn't have stablization. For me that is a must.

What model in your "Humble" Opinion, would be closest to the 500 for sensor quality and is stablized.
What is the difference between the 510 and 520?
Hi Ken,

Olympus went with a totally different sensor design beginning with the E-510-switching to a Panasonic 10 MP NMOS sensor instead of Kodak's CCD sensor used in your E-500. Actually, both the E-510 and the E-520 supposedly use the same NMOS sensor. There are more similarities in the E-520/E-510 than there are differences.
The major differences are that the E-520 had a slightly larger LCD display and Olympus did something to the processing of the image within the E-520 that improved the dynamic range. I owned the E-510 and even though, the E-510 had blown highlight issues - I, personally, didn't see enough of a difference to justify upgrading.

It wasn't until the E-620 and the E-30 were released that I got excited about upgrading. I got my E-30 last year in April and have never looked back.

I don't know how to answer your question as to which has the better sensor.
To me, the ergonomics, controls, performance and output of the E-30 camera are great. But, there are lots of forum members who love their E-3.
The E-620 is also, in my mind, a much better camera than either the E-510 or 520.

I guess it's all in how use it.

Oh, and yes, John loves his E-1

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 10:59 AM   #15

How do you like your E1 John?

Sounds like you're totally stoked with it and I can't blame you and at that price it has to be on my 'want list'
(Hmm, just watching the interplay between a pair of red wing blackbirds......)
Oh yeh, After I took my 500 out for the first time I had that "Wow...did I really just take that feel" My first shots are still hanging in a friends church as a sort of metaphor" then I started finding things that I would have liked on the camera. Obviously the viewfinder but my biggest was the lack of a connection for flash and remote cable. I guess nothing is perfect despite what Nikon tell you.. and we adapt along with the cameras.
I'll keep the 500 for landscape and look at other bodies for other work. The E1 is way up on the list. Obviously the pricing is a factor at the moment.

I'm here because of the interplay and help I get from members here. A really knowledgeable and friendly bunch.

Last edited by Scouse; May 13, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 1:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi John,

I'm really happy that your pleased with the E-1. And I'll be happy to say that I'm wrong. But, I did say that the 2 major benefits of the E-1 were the larger Optical viewfinder and thus it's ability to focus a legacy lens. The other feature, which is a major feature, is the weatherproofing. I've always wanted to have a weatherproof camera as I take my camera on a boat when I'm fishing. The big drawback, again for me, maybe not for a lot of people is the lack of Image Stabilization. For normal people this shouldn't be a deal breaker. For me, it is.
There is no denying that the E-500 viewfinder is small. So are all the viewfinders in the E4xx and E5xx bodies. The E-1 has a marvelous viewfinder. But, if your using ZD Zuiko lenses, and unless you're using manual focus a lot, then the camera is doing the focusing for you and that mitigates the issue of smaller viewfinders.

Those were the reasons for my response to Ken.

Actually, truth be told, the thing that bothered me most about the viewfinder of the E-510 (same as E-500)
was that I couldn't see the information displayed on the right side of the finder.

Again happy to know that you're loving the E-1

Zig
Yes, I forgot to mention how nice it is to be able to see the info in the viewfinder. The 500 is pretty much impossible to read if you wear glasses.

As for focusing, I mentioned the Sigma test i did because it is auto-focus and i have been having a hell of a time with it and the 500. The fact that the E-1 had no trouble bringing something into focus that the 500 was just aimlessly searching around for tells me the E-1 has a superior auto focus system.

My original idea was to keep the 500 to use with the Sigma and the E-1 with a macro lens so that I didn't have to change in the field so much but that idea will have to be altered. And after looking at the pics from yesterday on a real screen ( the 1.8" is a bit pathetic) I'll have to keep working on focus, or just admit my eyes aren't what they used to be. The Sigma still gives better results, even with the awesome viewfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
How do you like your E1 John?

Sounds like you're totally stoked with it and I can't blame you and at that price it has to be on my 'want list'
(Hmm, just watching the interplay between a pair of red wing blackbirds......)
Oh yeh, After I took my 500 out for the first time I had that "Wow...did I really just take that feel" My first shots are still hanging in a friends church as a sort of metaphor" then I started finding things that I would have liked on the camera. Obviously the viewfinder but my biggest was the lack of a connection for flash and remote cable. I guess nothing is perfect despite what Nikon tell you.. and we adapt along with the cameras.
I'll keep the 500 for landscape and look at other bodies for other work. The E1 is way up on the list. Obviously the pricing is a factor at the moment.

I'm here because of the interplay and help I get from members here. A really knowledgeable and friendly bunch.
Yes I'm stoked with it and for the price it can't be beat. But before you rush out and buy one keep in mind that the shooting i do is with heavy lenses, most at or over 2lbs. If you shoot with lighter glass the extra size of the E-1 might not be such an advantage.

John