Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 10, 2010, 11:56 PM   #1

Default Got an E-1 today

After much debate and a lot of searching on ebay and the used camera sites i finally found an E-1 I liked for a price I liked ($272 for the body, the HLD battery holder, 2 Bll-1 batteries and charger and the BLM-1 battery, which gives me 3 now). Shutter count says ~8200 (compared to 27K on my E-500) so while the camera shows some body wear it hasn't had a lot of pictures taken with it. I have had very little time to play around with it but first impressions are good. It's a totally differetn animal from the 500, so much more solid, a much better shutter release. I'm sure you're all familiar enough with it that i don't have to go into all the things i like about it

Here's a quick sample shot taken with a Soligor 37-105 multi-coated macro zoom (and despite the reputation that company has this is a really nice lens, weighs about 2 lbs, 72mm filter size, though not fast). I just wanted to see how much better the viewfinder on the E-1 is and damn is it nice. I may not need the micro prism screen for it though I'll hold off on that decision until I have used the camera lots.

Quick question. Is the battery holder worth it? It adds a lot of weight and bulk which makes carrying 2 cameras harder. I'm interested in hearing from members with experience with this camera. Thanks.

John
Attached Images

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2010, 12:21 AM   #2

Does make the camera heavy, but the accessory grip makes it a sweet vertical shooting camera with the dual dials and AE lock button. When you go vertical to shoot that type subject, it's more comfortable to me than using just the camera....and the colors are spectacular.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 7:23 AM   #3

Jelow, congrats on the purchase I have often considered buying a used e-1 myself. for those who mainly use pictures on the web it has more than enough resolution with its 5 mp sensor. The files from the e-1 I have seen are crisp & clean & would suffice for 30% of my shooting, but since I primarily am a 8x10 & larger print photographer I have talked myself out of buying one every time I come across 1 used.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 11:16 AM   #4

Congrats on picking up an E-1 at what seems to be a great price. Based on your usage of legacy lenses, it should be a much improved solution.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 2:08 PM   #5

I like that 3rd shot a lot, Greg! Great job!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 10:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Does make the camera heavy, but the accessory grip makes it a sweet vertical shooting camera with the dual dials and AE lock button. When you go vertical to shoot that type subject, it's more comfortable to me than using just the camera....and the colors are spectacular.

Great shots Greg. I almost never shoot portrait anymore, in part because I found it really hard to focus with old glass and the E-500 in that position. I can already tell that won't be an issue with the E-1. For now I'll use the HLD-2 since the weight it adds isn't that much compared to some of the old lenses I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Jelow, congrats on the purchase I have often considered buying a used e-1 myself. for those who mainly use pictures on the web it has more than enough resolution with its 5 mp sensor. The files from the e-1 I have seen are crisp & clean & would suffice for 30% of my shooting, but since I primarily am a 8x10 & larger print photographer I have talked myself out of buying one every time I come across 1 used.
Charles
I would have no qualms about printing an 8x10 with the E-1. I have printed photos that large that were shot with my C2500. Keep your eyes open, there are bargin E-1s to be found and for the price I can't see how you'd be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Congrats on picking up an E-1 at what seems to be a great price. Based on your usage of legacy lenses, it should be a much improved solution.

Zig
Much improved indeed Zig. I should've bought one ages ago. I tried a comparison using my tamron lens on the E-1 and then the 500 and wow, I can't see ever using the 500 with anything but the Sigma now.

Anyway, here's a portrait shot i did today to see if Greg was right about how easy the HLD-2 makes shooting that way. Of course he was.

Is there a way to do in camera rotation with the E-1? I miss that feature and w/o a manual haven't found any way to do it.

John
Attached Images

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 4:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Is there a way to do in camera rotation with the E-1? I miss that feature and w/o a manual haven't found any way to do it.

John
Download the manual here:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...als.asp?id=919

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 4:28 PM   #8

Am I the only one left using the 500...?
I think I'll have a bit more time this summer to get the camera out to play with. I might take a look and see if I can find a deal similar to yours. Seems like a heck of a deal.
I really do like my 500, I love the results for landscape shots but it does have it's limitations.
Nice photos you guys.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 5:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Am I the only one left using the 500...?
I think I'll have a bit more time this summer to get the camera out to play with. I might take a look and see if I can find a deal similar to yours. Seems like a heck of a deal.
I really do like my 500, I love the results for landscape shots but it does have it's limitations.
Nice photos you guys.
Hi Ken,

You really should like the E-500 as it is a really good camera. It employs the same Kodak (8300) CCD sensor that the E-300 utilized while the E-1 utilized an earlier but similar version (5100) CCD sensor. The colors rendered by the E-500 should be on par with the output of the E-1.

The big advantages of the E-1 are;
significantly larger, brighter optical viewfinder. So, if you're using legacy lenses, it would be a significant advantage.
The weatherproofing is another big plus.
The drawbacks to both, in my mind, is the lack of image stabilization. For me, that's a deal breaker. It was the major reason, I upgraded from the E-500 to the E-510.

Unless, you're using a lot of legacy lenses, I really don't think you'll derive a major benefit.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 8:56 PM   #10

Thanks for that. I'd forgotten or maybe I didn't realize that the E1 didn't have stablization. For me that is a must.

What model in your "Humble" Opinion, would be closest to the 500 for sensor quality and is stablized.
What is the difference between the 510 and 520?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote