Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 14, 2010, 8:13 AM   #1

Default Bringing the dSLR at the beach

How about swapping lenses at the beach, should this be done at all? Or if one can find a "safe" place to do it, it's okay?

How about bringing the SLR at the beach?

Any tips and tricks to limit any potential damage to the camera?
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2010, 8:29 AM   #2

Whew! What an idea. I would start with a wide-range zoom and if I had to change the lens, go into my car. Or a restaurant. Last choice...you guessed it, washroom. On the beach itself? Never.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 8:32 AM   #3

If you plan to be getting in the water at all, stay away unless the camera is going in a protective housing. Even if you don't plan to get in the water, I would say be very careful and just use some common sense when it comes to changing lenses. If people are running around you and kicking up sand, move and certainly don't be changing lenses.

I've taken my DSLR to the US Virgin Islands and been on and near beaches but was always extremely careful and never had a problem. The biggest issue I ever had to deal with was the humidity when leaving my room, going into the humid air and dealing with condensation fogging the optics and having to let that evaporate. I would think living in climates like that long-term is a recipe for mouldy camera equipment
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 8:41 AM   #4

Hi Tek,

Living on the Cape, I go to beach with my camera often and (knock on wood), have yet to have a problem. This is what I typically do:

If we're going to be at the beach all day, I put my camera in a zip log bag large enough for the camera and lens, cleaning cloth, and blower brush. I leave my kit bag in the car.

This zip lock bag allows me to have the camera with me but safe from kids running around having fun and getting sand on the blanket, etc.

When I want to change lenses, like Frank, I try to go to the car to do that.
Failing that, I'll change the lens on the beach but only if it's not windy- sand is insidious as it gets into everything. That's why I have the blower brush. I'll take that and brush off any sand around the lens mount prior to changing lenses.

Whatever you do, I strongly recommend that when you get home, take the blower brush again and sweep off all sand from the camera body and lenses used. Don't take the lens off 'til you've done that.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 12:21 PM   #5

I did it when I went to florida, just keep your back to the wind, and have your lenses prep. No problem with changing lenses at the beach. But if there is allot of sea spray, I would but on a haze filter to protect the front of the lenses form the salt water.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:41 AM   #6

I would not do it but if you have no other camera to take to the beach AND you must swap lenses, this is what I'd suggest:

1. Always make sure the camera is turned off before removing the lens. When the camera is turned on, the magnetic field created on the sensor will attract dust.

2. Choose a sheltered place, somewhere where there is no or a very gentle breeze (if possible). If not, use your camera bag as shelter.

3. Always have the camera pointed down when removing the lens. Dust usually comes downward, so by having the camera pointed down, you will minimize the chances of dust landing inside.

4. Make sure you are ready to go before removing the lens (i.e. the lens you are placing on the camera has no rear cap so that it can be attached to the camera right away). Worry about placing the rear cap on the lens you removed from the camera after you have attached the other lens to the camera.

Even if you do all this, you are not guaranteed that you won't get sensor dust but it will certainly increase your chances of not getting them.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 8:03 PM   #7

Everyone has given some good tips. I'll just quickly add my thoughts.

I enjoy going to the beach here, but I usually try to avoid changing lens. However, when I have, my wife's big beach bag comes in very handy. I just hold the camera down inside the bag to change the lens. Protects it from the wind and any blowing sand; it's a big wide opening so you have no trouble holding the camera and attaching the lens.

If your wife or girlfriend is not with you, then I guess you are on your own. Carry you own beach bag --after all you need something to hold your towel and sunscreen.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 8:06 PM   #8

You can also hold the camera with the lens mount down, drop the lens, then mount the new lens if is you no beach bag. Just keep you back to the wind.