Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 15, 2010, 11:22 AM   #11

Hmmm. I'm playing around with a new toy also - I just bought my first GPS (a Garmin Nuvi). When I lived in northern Arizona the concept of a GPS was useless. With all the mountains there's only one way to get to where you want to go and if that road is blocked you just ain't gonna get there. Maybe tomorrow, but not today. But in the DC metro area the GPS is a lot of fun.

Glad you got your lens back!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 9:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hmmm. I'm playing around with a new toy also - I just bought my first GPS (a Garmin Nuvi). When I lived in northern Arizona the concept of a GPS was useless. With all the mountains there's only one way to get to where you want to go and if that road is blocked you just ain't gonna get there. Maybe tomorrow, but not today. But in the DC metro area the GPS is a lot of fun.

Glad you got your lens back!

Ted
You have a good unit. I have 3 Garmin Nuvi GPS units, and they have performed very well.

Last edited by Steven R; May 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 4:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
You have a good unit. I have a 3 Garmin Nuvi GPS units, and they have performed very well.
Thanks, Steven. It seems good, except for the lack of any real manual for it. I finally found this web site that does what Garmin should have:

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/index.html

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 5:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Billy... Note that Sprint has 4G service in Atlanta now, so you may want to look at the new Evo 4G running Android since you seemed to like Android (it will come wth a newer Android 2.1 version installed, which is more full featured compared to some of the older versions), dependng on how close to Atlanta you end up if you come this direction. Their 4G service is supposed to be up to 10 times as fast as 3G, and they have some unlimited bandwidth plans if you're connected via 4G. The new Evo 4G will be available June 4.

http://now.sprint.com/evo/

If you go to their coverage maps, enter Atlanta as the city to center it, then click on the Data and Multimedia section on the bottom right and click on the tab for devices wiith 4G, you'll see areas with 4G coverage in Blue.

http://coverage.sprint.com/

I doubt we'll get 4G in the Savannah area anytime soon.
The big problem with the 4G network for sprint, is they are still relying on T1 as their back hall. So it may transmit 10x faster then a cdma2000 network like Verizon. But getting the cell to not bottleneck with the t1 back haul is the problem.

T-Mobile and ATT are working on their WCDMA network to open up the back haul bottle next with AAV circuits.

So if the 4G is on a T1 backhaul. Those speeds will not appear. The WCDMA with HSPDA+ networks with AAV will still out perform the sprint network if that is the case.
Old May 16, 2010, 8:09 AM   #15
Administrator

I'm not so sure about that. It's my understanding that Sprint is using Clearwire for their 4G offerings, and most of the newer tests I've seen where they've rolled out the 4G service are showing average download speeds between 2 and 3Mbps with peaks around 5Mbps (when connected via 4G), with some users reporting seeing speeds as fast as 10Mbps. I think Sprint is saying 3 to 6 Mbps (and I have seen some users reporting about 4Mbps, depending on where they're connecting). Upload speed is slower (it's my understanding they're capping it at around 1Mbps now and some users are reporting it's slower). It's my understanding that Comcast will be using Clearwire for their 4G service offerings, too.

http://hothardware.com/News/Clearwir...dband-Service/

I suspect we'll see a lot more speed tests next month after Spring rolls out the EVO 4G on June 4th; and I suspect they're working out to beef up the network to support them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 10:04 AM   #16

WCDMA HSDPA+ testing with AAV circuit are show downloads of 7mbs. That is what T-Mobile and ATT are showing. I 've seen the Widemax of sprint, and if it is not on a high speed backhaul. Speed are about 2mbs. As they get choked down by the T1's, 6-10 T1i is not enough in very busy areas.

4G is faster, but you need to match it up with a high speed backhaul. AAV circuit can have speed form 20mbs to 100mbs. That is the why to maximize 3G and 4G. The bad new is AAV circuits are not available everywhere yet.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:23 AM   #17

With 4G Verzion is the one to watch in the next 3 years. They are designing the 4G network with AAV circuits from the get go, as T-Mobile and ATT are proving out the viability of AAV to the cell site. So gets free testing of the new backhaul. And when they launch 4G, it will be wicked fast. That is why VZ has giving up on their 3G improvements. They are pretty much maxed out with the 3.6mhz of cdma2000, they can not keep up with the speeds of wcdma at 5.