Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 14, 2010, 4:41 PM   #1

Default I Bought an iPhone 3G-S....

God, these things are fun....

I "only" had a blackberry before this. The only question I had was, with just 16GB of space, how the heck am I gonna load all the images I want to have with me.....then I found the Smugmug app....

Last night I sync'd 4007 images from my website that took up a grand total of 276MB of space on the device. The images look great on the screen and they even enlarge to a small degree and the slide show system is really, really nice. I think I'll sync a bunch more tonight.

Oh yeah....the phone-part works really well, too.

Just to keep this on-topic, got my 12-60 Zuiko back from Olympus and it works great.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2010, 4:48 PM   #2

Hi Greg,

Congrats on getting the I-phone.. er, I mean the 12-60mm lens back from Oly.

Actually, my wife has had the IPhone since January. It is one fun little device as you have come to find out.. There are a myriad of apps for that thing- it's incredible.

Ahem, In closing, I hope this chapter with the 12-60mm is now closed and you can go back to taking great photos with it.............

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 4:48 PM   #3

LOL, nice Greg. I've wanted an iPhone for some time, but AT&T service in my area really stinks. So, I've settled for an Android powered phone (which I did Love, but got rid of it).

If I relocate to the Atlanta area, I might have to get one, along with an iPad of coruse

Enjoy your new toy....I mean phone.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 5:45 PM   #4
Administrator

Billy... Note that Sprint has 4G service in Atlanta now, so you may want to look at the new Evo 4G running Android since you seemed to like Android (it will come wth a newer Android 2.1 version installed, which is more full featured compared to some of the older versions), dependng on how close to Atlanta you end up if you come this direction. Their 4G service is supposed to be up to 10 times as fast as 3G, and they have some unlimited bandwidth plans if you're connected via 4G. The new Evo 4G will be available June 4.

http://now.sprint.com/evo/

If you go to their coverage maps, enter Atlanta as the city to center it, then click on the Data and Multimedia section on the bottom right and click on the tab for devices wiith 4G, you'll see areas with 4G coverage in Blue.

http://coverage.sprint.com/

I doubt we'll get 4G in the Savannah area anytime soon.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 5:59 PM   #5

........love my iPhone, love my iMAC and wanting an iPAD, ALL THINGS APPLE!.

Glad you have the 12-60 back and it is right this time.

Are you using the SmugWallet app for the photo sync?

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 14, 2010 at 6:04 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 6:00 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i love my iphone as well. if my calanedar wasn't on there, i would never keep up with all my meetings. plus just being able to get my work and home email at anytime and actually be able to reply easily. supernice. not to mention the fun apps
Old May 14, 2010, 6:07 PM   #7
Administrator

I don't use my phone for anything except for voice. I've had the same plan for years. I don't even try to text with my mobile (I have enough trouble with a smaller netbook keyboard, much less trying to use a phone for anything except voice). :-)

I'll admit some of the newer smart phones look pretty slick though (iPhone, some of the Android based phones, etc.).
Old May 14, 2010, 7:14 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
..Just to keep this on-topic, got my 12-60 Zuiko back from Olympus and it works great.
Well... the iPhone it is a tool for viewing your images. ;-)

BTW, if you missed the news about it, there's a neat product called DropBox you may want to look at that's available for the iPhone and iPad now.

I use it to sync files between multiiple desktops (running both Linux and Windows). It's also very handy for sharing files with others (photos, docs or anything you want to share). Basically, you just drop a file into a Dropbox folder and it automatically syncs to the same folder on their server (and the same folders on any other devices you have them setup on). You can also copy files to a public folder and give others a link to them. They have versions for OS X, Windows, iPhone, Android and more now. You get 2GB of storage for free (with paid plans for more). See this news page about it:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...ices_easy.html
Old May 14, 2010, 7:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
........love my iPhone, love my iMAC and wanting an iPAD, ALL THINGS APPLE!.

Glad you have the 12-60 back and it is right this time.

Are you using the SmugWallet app for the photo sync?
Hi, Bob!

Yep, that's the one.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 8:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Billy... Note that Sprint has 4G service in Atlanta now, so you may want to look at the new Evo 4G running Android since you seemed to like Android (it will come wth a newer Android 2.1 version installed, which is more full featured compared to some of the older versions), dependng on how close to Atlanta you end up if you come this direction. Their 4G service is supposed to be up to 10 times as fast as 3G, and they have some unlimited bandwidth plans if you're connected via 4G. The new Evo 4G will be available June 4.

http://now.sprint.com/evo/

If you go to their coverage maps, enter Atlanta as the city to center it, then click on the Data and Multimedia section on the bottom right and click on the tab for devices wiith 4G, you'll see areas with 4G coverage in Blue.

http://coverage.sprint.com/

I doubt we'll get 4G in the Savannah area anytime soon.
Yeah I saw that. That phone is Very tempting for two reasons:
  1. It's called the Evo, which just happens be one of my favorite cars (see this post). I miss mine
  2. It runs Android, which you know all to well how much I liked my past Google powered phone.
So, now that you've brought it up, I'm torn. I wish they would hurry up and come out with an Android powered tablet. The iPad looks sweet, but is SOO expensive.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote