Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 15, 2010, 5:59 AM   #1

Default Headin' west

Hi all, I do not know how many of you guys got a little history bug in ya, but thought I would post a few image from a local event being held here in southwest Pa. this weekend. America's first Challenge to the U.S. Constitution was over the funding & building of the National Road. This road would turn out to be the only road ever built totally with federal funds. It spans from Maryland to Illinois & is the road that lead to the western frontier.
Every year volunteers with their own funds (in Pa.) commemorate the role this road played in America's history. Wagon trains travel the road for 4 days here in Pa. in honor of the struggles of those who chose to head west.

The lighting was harsh since I was shooting into the sun most of the time yesterday so pics aren't the greatest. I will be shooting all day today & tomorrow. If any one is interested I will post some more later. All images with the e-3 & 50-200swd, haven't got comfortable enough with the epl-1 yet enough to try it, maybe over the next couple days.
Charles
Attached Images

cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2010, 6:02 AM   #2

I still haven't got used to the conversion for posting images on this forum so I apologize for image quality they look better before the conversion.
Charles.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:37 AM   #3

.....hey Charles,

I do have a little history bug in me, hi! I like seeing these very much, will you have an online gallery of the trip shoot....

Looks fun to photograph, give the E-PL1 a try, bet it will work great for you and it would be interesting to see the results.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 8:00 AM   #4

Nice series, Charles. Gives one a deeper appreciation for the folks that formed this country.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 10:37 AM   #5

Nice pictures, I agree with Gary, we've forgot how hard it was in the beginning here. Of course walking down any city street today can be just as dangerous : )
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 11:14 AM   #6

Thanks, Charles. I really enjoy history and enjoyed your photos.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 9:38 PM   #7

Thanks Charles. There are probably a lot of us history students on the forum.

Quote:--"I still haven't got used to the conversion for posting images on this forum so I apologize for image quality they look better before the conversion."

Try out a Smugmug account. Not only is it a great backup for your pictures. But you wouldn't have to do a conversion to post to the forum. Several of us use it,
e-mail any of us if you have any specific questions.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 9:57 AM   #8

Thanks all, for the comments. I spent about 10 hrs. sat. following the wagon train took 1,292 photos with e-3, e-420, & gave the e-pl1 a shot to. Used 50-200swd, 12-60swd, original 40-150, & 9-18mm lenses. Ran into some hitches with the 50-200mm focusing accurately, hope it was just the fact the sun was skipping off the pavement & getting past the lens hood & not a more serious issue.

Bob & Ted, glad to see some others interested in a little history, I will post some image in my website galleries & maybe flickr as time allows.(www.coyotemountainphoto.com)

Gary & eharrim, I can not imagine how rough it was back then, even with the modern pavement the wagon train suffered equipment failures during the journey yesterday, the worst being a broken tongue hitch while climing one of the mountain peaks along the route, good thing the brakes didn't fail.

Steven, Thank you for the advice & offer for support. I have spent much time & resources in the last several years perfecting a color matching system for printing high quality images, only to find out it is not compatible with easy transfer to web posting.
Charles
Old May 16, 2010, 10:23 AM   #9

A few from yesterday, in camera jpeg cropped in om2.

Peaking the Summit Mountain the last western peak of the Allegheny mountains.

The last highest view until the rocky mountains, the horizon is approx. 60 miles away.

Bystander watching wagon train coming off Summit Mountain.

Passing the historic State Theater, downtown Uniontown. E-PL1 pana adapter & 9-18mm.

Wagon train leaving downtown Uniontown, This is the county seat & the apathy of the locals is apparent, by the empty streets.

I tried flickr for this posting so I do not know if the quality will be any better, These are unedited images. Today I am off to shoot an antique steam festival held off the National Road.
Charles
Old May 16, 2010, 3:27 PM   #10

Thanks for all the images Charles.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote