Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 17, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Default Olympus viewer 2

Hi all, for those interested Olympus has released Viewer 2 which appears to have much more capability than om2 but doesn't have remote camera control like studio. It is a free download with a e series serial #. Here is the link. http://support.olympus-imaging.com/o...ownload/index#

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2010, 1:34 PM   #2

I've been reading enough about it that I'm going to download and try it tonight just to see if it gives me any upgrade to Studio. I know Viewer is basically Studio minus tethered shooting, which is something I don't do, and Viewer is supposed to be less of a processor hog. The issues I have with Studio are..

1. In processing RAW files, the highest quality JPEG's you can produce are equivalent to an in-camera HQ file. The lowest compression you get when shooting SHQ in-camera JPEG's is not possible when converting RAW to JPEG using Studio. From comments I have seen over at DPReview from users who have already tried Viewer, this has not changed.

2. One of the main reasons to go to the trouble of shooting RAW is the ability to retrieve any slightly clipped highlights, and Studio is incapable of blown highlight retrieval to any extent. There is no dedicated slider for this like in Adobe Camera RAW, and what you wind up getting when you try and dial back exposure using exposure compensation or a curves adjustment is, the blown areas go from being white to gray with no detail being brought back. Adobe Camera RAW has Studio beat by miles when it comes to being able to do this. I've seen no comments from anyone yet about how this works in Viewer, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I like the way Olympus implements batch processing, but there are enough "other" things about the RAW processor in Studio that do not work well that I pretty much have stopped using Studio for anything.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 17, 2010 at 1:41 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 4:02 PM   #3

I'll try it but I have to agree with Greg about all of Studios flaws. If the pic is at all important, ie not a simple bird pic I've done just for fun, I have to save it as tiff and then tweak it in Elements and then save it as jpeg where I can limit compression. That's a lot of extra steps and one of the reasons i have such a backlog. Doesn't really sound like viewer will help that but it's free so why not.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 6:52 PM   #4

I downloaded viewer 2 & already ran into unacceptably slow operation when trying to use the unsharp mask in the raw section. I hope Olympus will improve the processing speed in this area. I have yet to ring out the software looking for other deficiencies. I personally save all my images as tiff files on external hard drives as I primarily print instead of post on the web.

As Greg pointed out there is no way to duplicate the light compression the camera offers for those who save as jpeg.

I have bought & used every version of photoshop elements from 2-7, & have bought & used photoshop 6,& lightroom 1 & used cs2 but not purchased. But at the end of 2009 I made a "personal decision" to not invest in any more adobe products due to the total lack of support for Olympus cameras, the constant spam e-mails to spend more on their products, & what they call great new advancements in newly released versions of their software which is mostly just bug fixes in previously released versions. Anyone who has used adobe photo editing products for a number of years & payed attention to adobe updater will see they never release updates, just new versions for you to spend money on.

Right now I still use elements for some purposes I cannot duplicate with other software "yet". Although extremely primitive, the curves tool in Olympus Master 2 has no equal in my personal images when compared to any other software's version of curves but as Greg had mention has no highlight recovery capability. I understand Olympus is not in the software business so the fact that we have master, studio, & viewer is a great thing to have although they have speed & highlight issues. In "my opinion" Olympus is very close to having the perfect software for "normal image processing" for their cameras (I know this will probably cause ruffled feathers but it is just my opinion) they should invest the extra time & cost to fix the speed & highlight recoverable abilities.
Sorry about the long rant.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 7:59 PM   #5

I used to save all my photos as tiffs as well but decided awhile back that makes no sense for what I consider just snap shots. I'm sorry to hear that viewer is still slow although I've goten used to things taking time. As for Adobe I've never updated from Elements 2 and I see no reason to other than to use ACR with 8. But with the hidden power (tm) tools I have access to things like curves and channels so I can do pretty much all I need outside of recovering blown highlights. Yeah that'd be nice but for the most part they are limited to birds and I can almost always just shoot them again another day when the lighting is better. I'd rather have an excuse to do that anyway .

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 8:43 PM   #6

Well, one thing I can say about Viewer....Studio had, for some reason, started crashing on me in the middle of working large batches of RAW files and Viewer at least did stay open and let me process and run a decent-sized batch of ORF files.

I deleted Studio out of my dock and slid Viewer in there instead. Don't know how much I'll use it, but at least the process did also include the Olympus Camera Updater.

If you have a bunch of RAW files with no, or minimal clipped highlight issues and don't mind the smaller size/higher compression "best" JPEG processing parameters, Viewer does do a good job. Here's a bunch of E620 and E30 RAW files I ran through the program tonight..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...70633720_gwew8

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 17, 2010 at 11:15 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote