Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 18, 2010, 9:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
Greg, these were shot with external flash I setup around my hummingbird porch feeders.
Is it possible for you to tell us exactly what manuf./model it is? How about how you trigger it? What is the body and lens you used for these shots? Any other pertinent settings?

Not like I'd run to the store and buy a new lens, but it would potentially explain why I can't obtain stuff like this!
Old May 19, 2010, 12:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Is it possible for you to tell us exactly what manuf./model it is? How about how you trigger it? What is the body and lens you used for these shots? Any other pertinent settings?

Not like I'd run to the store and buy a new lens, but it would potentially explain why I can't obtain stuff like this!
Tekius, the shots that I posted in my opening thread were shot with the Oly E620 and the Olympus 140-600mm lens. I think I paid about $300 for this lens and it is a really great piece of equipment.

I was able to get very close to the hummingbirds because I spend hours on end at the feeders (because I'm nuts) allowing them to get used to me.

This is just a personal opinion; getting as close to the birds as possible works best for me and of course, getting the shutter speed as high as possible in order to freeze the wings.

Even lenses from inexpensive 6 megapixel cameras have worked well for me when using these rules of thumbs (that sounds funny, doesn't it?). For example, here are some shots from various cameras to example the feather detail at close range; the majority of these photos were shot with a 6 mp camera:

Another 6 mp:

I also make sure that the camera is well stabilized and I almost always turn off the image stabilization to prevent the old hunt/seek/find but there have been times when I've forgotten.

Any external flash set up should do the job. I do remember that during the shoot of the photos posted in my opening thread, my lighting set up broke so some of these shots may have made use of the onboard flash which of course, would have been adjusted. Too much flash can certainly ruin a good shot.

Thank you, Tekius.
Hiawatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 8:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
Tekius, the shots that I posted in my opening thread were shot with the Oly E620 and the Olympus 140-600mm lens. I think I paid about $300 for this lens and it is a really great piece of equipment.

I was able to get very close to the hummingbirds because I spend hours on end at the feeders (because I'm nuts) allowing them to get used to me.

I also make sure that the camera is well stabilized and I almost always turn off the image stabilization to prevent the old hunt/seek/find but there have been times when I've forgotten.
Heh, I googled 140-600mm and was surprised when I saw it was a lens I own (ie. 70-300)... LOL!

How close are you? I'm about 4 feet away @ 150mm (or 300mm). Albeight, at an angle through a window (which is kept clean using Windex!).
Old May 19, 2010, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Heh, I googled 140-600mm and was surprised when I saw it was a lens I own (ie. 70-300)... LOL!

How close are you? I'm about 4 feet away @ 150mm (or 300mm). Albeight, at an angle through a window (which is kept clean using Windex!).
Tekius, I'm not that close (maybe 10 feet away) but I'm also not shooting through a window which can be very challenging. Hey, great to know that you have the lens!
Old May 19, 2010, 9:11 PM   #15

Excellent shots. Another example of how good the standard grade 70-300mm Oly is for the money.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 10:42 PM   #16

Very nice shots of the hummers. My hat is off to you.

In my world, God made hummingbirds to exponentially raise the shutter counts of my cameras. I waste alot of frames trying to get results half as good as yours

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 12:46 AM   #17

Thank you Steven & Fldspringer!
Old May 20, 2010, 9:45 AM   #18

Wow, i love 'm
Arjan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 11:14 AM   #19

Thank you, Arjan!
Old May 27, 2010, 4:43 PM   #20